Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

I have gotten a mix of B's and C's in my GCSE results, now, in A Levels, I am predicted A*A*A*A*, Do you think really good universities like Cambridge and University of Birmingham would offer me a place??
    A-Level subjects; Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics.
    I would like to study medicine at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaterinaPet)
    I have gotten a mix of B's and C's in my GCSE results, now, in A Levels, I am predicted A*A*A*A*, Do you think really good universities like Cambridge and University of Birmingham would offer me a place??
    It's not as simple as that - I'm not trying to be unhelpful, but there is way more to a successful medicine application than just grades.

As far as grades go, you will need to look very carefully at each medical school and apply to those which do not place a great deal of emphasis on GCSE grades when selecting interview candidates. If it helps, there is no such thing as a "bad" medical school, so you should not be limiting yourself only to several choices.

What did you get for English Language and Maths? Most medical schools will require Bs in these.

This is a good starting point for your reading (though might be out of date in places, so double check on the uni websites):

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements

Additionally you will need to have done work experience, a period of volunteering, UKCAT/BMAT, etc. It is simply not possible to predict your chances at this early stage. Best we can say is to work to your strengths and do your research on each school before applying.

ReputationRep:
    What he said ^

Plus it's important to realise that there are no bad medical schools in the UK. Just different!

ReputationRep:
    If you're predicted 4A* for A2 I'd assume you've done your AS levels in which case you would already have applied. I don't think your predicted grades are really your predicted grades. I think you should research medicine further and take the above advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just from personal experience, the number of A* at gcse is a considerable discriminator for many medical schools. This,I'm sorry to say, includes Birmingham. You will have to be very very careful with where you apply.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Birmingham this year with 6 A*s, 3 As and a B at GCSE with A*A*A* already achieved at A2 and still didn't get an interview. Maybe they've changed their policy for next year though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob_37)
    I applied to Birmingham this year with 6 A*s, 3 As and a B at GCSE with A*A*A* already achieved at A2 and still didn't get an interview. Maybe they've changed their policy for next year though.
    what?! thats ridiculous! did you get any offers elsewhere? and do you have good extra curricular and work experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    Probably bad personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverGrowUp)
    what?! thats ridiculous! did you get any offers elsewhere? and do you have good extra curricular and work experience etc.
    Well it's not really ridiculous when everyone knows you need an extremely high number of A*'s at GCSE to get into Birmingham. 6 isn't really enough. Anyone applying should have known that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)
    Well it's not really ridiculous when everyone knows you need an extremely high number of A*'s at GCSE to get into Birmingham. 6 isn't really enough. Anyone applying should have known that.
    I guess, but I thought the 3A*S would've covered it. Which Unis care a lot about GCSE grades for medicine? Do you think Barts, Cambridge, imperial, and UCL do?

ReputationRep:
    What did you get at AS?

ReputationRep:
    I guess, but I thought the 3A*S would've covered it. Which Unis care a lot about GCSE grades for medicine? Do you think Barts, Cambridge, imperial, and UCL do?
    Barts, UCL and Imperial don't seem to place a huge amount of emphasis on A*s according to this. Oxford and Cambridge do, and Birmingham and Edinburgh are both particularly known for using the number of A*s as a discriminator.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge value GCSE's very highly, i don't know about UCL, Barts doesn't especially worry but you really need 4 full A levels and extra curriculars which are worth UCAS points.
    Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Bristol are amongst the ones who value GCSE's highly. In many of these cases if your GCSE's aren't good enough no number of A levels makes up for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)
    Cambridge value GCSE's very highly, i don't know about UCL, Barts doesn't especially worry but you really need 4 full A levels and extra curriculars which are worth UCAS points.
    Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Bristol are amongst the ones who value GCSE's highly. In many of these cases if your GCSE's aren't good enough no number of A levels makes up for it.
    that really sucks.

ReputationRep:
    that really sucks.
    On the other hand there's plenty of places where GCSE's matter less if you have other things to compensate, you just have to do your application properly.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any good unis for med that don't look heavily on GCSEs? I think I will have a good personal statement because I do quite a lot of extra curricular, volunteering, work experience etc. I'm still doing my GCSE's and if I don't live up to my expected grades I probably will get 5A*s the rest As....And I know I'm gonna work so hard in A levels to get top grades to try and make up for my lack of revision for GCSEs
    Why don't you PM me and give me your full profile. It's very hard to say without any final grades though

ReputationRep:
    okay, you mean just state all the extra stuff i do? Thankss and I know I'm just in a panicked state because I've messed up my GCSEs and I haven't even finished them yet
    yep don't panick
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    okay, you mean just state all the extra stuff i do? Thankss and I know I'm just in a panicked state because I've messed up my GCSEs and I haven't even finished them yet
    I'm not trying to be mean, but even if previous exams haven't gone well, get off tsr, stop worrying about exams you haven't got the results of yet and focus on revising for the final exams you do have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rishy)
    Probably bad personal statement.
    Maybe, i had lots of work experience and extra curricular though. Got 2 offers for medicine so i'm still happy. I did know you needed a high number of A*s at GCSE, but when I went to open day my 6A*s was on the borderline - and I really liked it so i took a chance. I also was under the impression that contextual data would help my cause as I was in a low achieving sixth form...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, i had lots of work experience and extra curricular though. Got 2 offers for medicine so i'm still happy. I did know you needed a high number of A*s at GCSE, but when I went to open day my 6A*s was on the borderline - and I really liked it so i took a chance. I also was under the impression that contextual data would help my cause as I was in a low achieving sixth form...
    Your stats are great some uni's are just very picky and subjective. Congratz on your other 2 offers.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.