Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place, mods move it if it is please? Thanks.

Currently on JSA at the moment and dutifully applying for the jobs I'm told as well as the ones I want (though I'm hoping to get on an NHS training scheme soon, interview is in the next few days I hope.)

One of my applications just got replied too, it's one the job centre told me to go for in a field I'm not interested in. I don't think my advisor read the advert though because in the reply asking me to ring them back its mentioned that the job is in Cambridgeshire (though St Ives is also mentioned in the advert...) and I'm living at my parents home in the north east. They seem to have just put adverts for every place in the UK to recruit from.

What are my options here? Can I refuse due to distance, do I go for it and hope to relocate (it's an ok wage for my area but down south I'm not sure if I could manage), do the phone interview and hope I'm not picked, or take the sanction? If it was a dream job I'd go for it, but I'm hoping to get a job so I can stay in my area.

Just not sure what to do at the minute...

ReputationRep:
    When you made a fresh claim for JSA you were given an interview with your personal adviser. Phone up or better yet, go into your local JSA office and ask to speak with your personal adviser, and explain the situation to them.

Some of them can be quite strict with the rules though. If you still have your JSA agreement about, it should state how much time you're willing to travel to work. If you could get to the workplace within that time you may have to resort to purposely failing the interview. But you shouldn't have much issue if the time it would take to travel is over what is stated in the agreement.

Hope I helped!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    What does it say on your agreement with regards to travel? Mine for example, said 60 minutes each way. It didn't matter how far that would get me. (as a non-driver, that would get me to either Saltash or Totnes, depending on which direction I go)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spyder638)
    When you made a fresh claim for JSA you were given an interview with your personal adviser. Phone up or better yet, go into your local JSA office and ask to speak with your personal adviser, and explain the situation to them.

Some of them can be quite strict with the rules though. If you still have your JSA agreement about, it should state how much time you're willing to travel to work. If you could get to the workplace within that time you may have to resort to purposely failing the interview. But you shouldn't have much issue if the time it would take to travel is over what is stated in the agreement.

Hope I helped!
    (Original post by OU Student)
    What does it say on your agreement with regards to travel? Mine for example, said 60 minutes each way. It didn't matter how far that would get me. (as a non-driver, that would get me to either Saltash or Totnes, depending on which direction I go)
    At my interview they said 90 minutes on public transport (no car.) since the job location is over 200 miles away, I'm guessing that's somewhat out of range...

I'll check my job seekers document, and see what that says.

EDIT: Checked, only says 90 minutes each way on public transport. I'm going to turn it down, no way I can get to Cambridgeshire from NE England in 90 minutes, it would take me 30-40 to get to the station! Thanks for the help guys.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squidgyness)

EDIT: Checked, only says 90 minutes each way on public transport. I'm going to turn it down, no way I can get to Cambridgeshire from NE England in 90 minutes, it would take me 30-40 to get to the station! Thanks for the help guys.
    They can't sanction you for this. They can sanction you if you turn down a job within a 90 minute travel radius. I remember asking my adviser if it mattered how far that got me and I was told no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    They can't sanction you for this. They can sanction you if you turn down a job within a 90 minute travel radius. I remember asking my adviser if it mattered how far that got me and I was told no.
    Great, thanks for the advice!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.