Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

So I had unprotected sex, my period came 5 days late and I took a pregnancy test which came out negative. But I'm still not 100% sure that I'm not pregnant, when can I take a pregnancy test next?

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you like.

Period + one negative test since it started = you're not pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I had unprotected sex, my period came 5 days late and I took a pregnancy test which came out negative. But I'm still not 100% sure that I'm not pregnant, when can I take a pregnancy test next?

Thanks
    Did you wait till 3 weeks after the unprotected sex?

If not wait for your period

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by unprinted)
    Whenever you like.

Period + one negative test since it started = you're not pregnant.
    Okay so I could take the test tomorrow and it would give me an accurate result?

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    you should take another test to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    If you got your period (whether it was late or not) and it was like any other period then you're most likely not pregnant. If you waited a couple of weeks after you had sex to take the test then it's most probably accurate as, if you were up the duff, there would be levels of the pregnancy hormone that would get a positive reading. You're most likely to get pregnant 2 weeks into your cycle as this is when you'll ovulate (if you have a 28 day cycle) but it isn't impossible at all to get pregnant at other times. Use contraception next time... Unless you want to be pregnant of course!
    No harm in doing another test a week after the first one, though, just to set your mind at rest.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I could take the test tomorrow and it would give me an accurate result?
    Any good test will be accurate two weeks after the sex.

Supermarket / chemist 'own brand' tests can be substantially cheaper than the main branded ones and are just as reliable.

ReputationRep:
    Any good test will be accurate two weeks after the sex.

Supermarket / chemist 'own brand' tests can be substantially cheaper than the main branded ones and are just as reliable.
    This isnt all true. It usually takes three weeks for the hormones to build up enough, and even then it has to be first urine of the day when its at its strongest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the test - some can detect lower concentrations of the relevant hormone than others.

They should say on the box how soon after the sex they are reliable.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the test - some can detect lower concentrations of the relevant hormone than others.

They should say on the box how soon after the sex they are reliable.
    They say 3 weeks as standard both at the Drs and at sexual health clinics. If you stick to the 3 week rule then your pretty much certain to get a genuine result

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Positive result can be had at 3 weeks usually - I got a positive at 2 weeks though so it depends on your body and the test. (Morrissons and tescos own were fine for me!)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 14, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.