The Student Room Group

Why did people vote SNP in Scotland.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by william walker
I can assure you many of the Loyalists in Ulster aren't High Tories. Then again I guess you think the conflict in Ireland was about Catholic vs Protestant. Protestantism, Loyalism and Unionism are different things, they can't be lumped together as you just did. The civil war wouldn't be dependent upon you, it would be a conflict to decide who is dominant in Scotland. The same way their was an Irish civil war. If Loyalist do seek to remain part of the British state say along the border or the islands I would support them. Say Edinburgh voted to remain in the Union and Glasgow voted to leave and swung the vote. Just as in Ireland the two major cities would disagree. I count the Edinburgh-Glasgow split as a continuation of the Highland-Lowland split, the High cultural and legacy basis for Scotland is the Highlands. Though people in Glasgow and Dundee voted for independence for economic reasons. But what I was talking about in Ireland happened in the early 1900's, not the 1700's.

You're a joke.
Original post by Gordon1985
You're a joke.

Is that all you have got?
Reply 22
Jolly good then, so why are you posting. Just to do a backhanded insult?

Backhanded? Insult? Neither, just a criticism of your method of having a discussion.
Original post by offhegoes
Backhanded? Insult? Neither, just a criticism of your method of having a discussion.

What method is that?
Reply 24
What method is that?

As I mentioned earlier, you seem to have a habit of telling people what they think with very little basis to your suppositions. I think when you started this thread you were more interesting in creating a platform for you to express you own views than in finding out the views of others and having a discussion.

You are of course perfectly free to do this, but I think that this attitude means that the only insight anyone will gain based on this thread is into the surprising manner in which you semem to want to view Scottish politics.
Original post by offhegoes
As I mentioned earlier, you seem to have a habit of telling people what they think with very little basis to your suppositions. I think when you started this thread you were more interesting in creating a platform for you to express you own views than in finding out the views of others and having a discussion.

You are of course perfectly free to do this, but I think that this attitude means that the only insight anyone will gain based on this thread is into the surprising manner in which you semem to want to view Scottish politics.

Please explain to my why my views are wrong?
Can people honestly resent them for wanting something different when a credible option is offered as an alternative to this stagnant rotten state of our politics. To be honest I think some of it is more envy on the part of some, that we English ca';t create anything similar, it would never take hold.
Reply 27
Please explain to my why my views are wrong?

Sorry but from what I've seen of your posts I have no interest in getting into a debate with you about your views on why people voted for the SNP, which was the basis for this thead. I doubt it would either entertain or educate me and I doubt you would even give my posts any serious consideration.

I've said my piece on what I make of your debating style and now I'd prefer to concentrate on more insightful threads.
I don't belief it is going to happen because the EU will break apart before it does.

It wont. People have been saying it will since the beginning and it hasnt.

The best you could hope for is that Greece leaves (And is then ruined) and leter the euro (but not the EU) collapses or is changed. But I cant see these hings happening either.There is just too much political will for the european union to continue, and rightly so.

Also im pretty sure we'll vote to stay in- recent resullts have shown us that economic uncertainty trumps all- not to mention that as much as osbourne dislikes the EU he knows that its in the national (read London) interest.
I voted SNP because our Lib Dem of over 10 years had promised many things over the years with few being fulfilled. She had done little for me and my future. I would have voted Labour but the candidate was largely unknown, & on top of that there was really no point in voting for one of the smaller parties e.g. Greens because it was well known that SNP was going to win many of the seats so it seemed pointless wasting my vote. I guess if I was dead set against SNP then it wouldn't have been a waste, but especially in cases like my own where the incumbent had been useless/not delivered.

Funny thing is I'm not even pro independence. Ah well, such is life. As usual FPTP delivers a majority government that less than 40% of the population actually voted for.
Original post by Davij038
It wont. People have been saying it will since the beginning and it hasnt.

The best you could hope for is that Greece leaves (And is then ruined) and leter the euro (but not the EU) collapses or is changed. But I cant see these hings happening either.There is just too much political will for the european union to continue, and rightly so.

Also im pretty sure we'll vote to stay in- recent resullts have shown us that economic uncertainty trumps all- not to mention that as much as osbourne dislikes the EU he knows that its in the national (read London) interest.

Greece can't leave the EU or Euro. I can leverage the threat of doing to in negotiations, but the Germans and other EU members know they can't leave. Rather it is nations that are independent powers in their own rights who will seek to remove themselves from Germany economically sucking them dry. Nations like Poland, France, Italy and UK.

Yes and the anti-EU campaign will use the London based support for the EU to gain votes all over the nation and support in cities outside of London. My view is the referendum will be 3-5 points in favour of the campaign to leave. I can honest see nothing to keep Britain in the EU.
Original post by iEssArrAy
I voted SNP because our Lib Dem of over 10 years had promised many things over the years with few being fulfilled. She had done little for me and my future. I would have voted Labour but the candidate was largely unknown, & on top of that there was really no point in voting for one of the smaller parties e.g. Greens because it was well known that SNP was going to win many of the seats so it seemed pointless wasting my vote. I guess if I was dead set against SNP then it wouldn't have been a waste, but especially in cases like my own where the incumbent had been useless/not delivered.

Funny thing is I'm not even pro independence. Ah well, such is life. As usual FPTP delivers a majority government that less than 40% of the population actually voted for.

Indeed.
Is that all you have got?

It's hardly worth conversing with someone who is as utterly deluded as yourself. Once it stops becoming amusing, it's pointless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending