Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Revision Tips for A2 Chemistry (OCR) Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the best ways to revise for A-level chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmad97h)
    What are the best ways to revise for A-level chemistry?
    Heya, I'm going to put this in the chemistry forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    There is no perfect way to revise anything nor is there a specific way to revise for a certain topic. Revision is all about finding a way to make the information 'stick' and that varies from person to person. For example if you're a visual learner you may find it helps to use coloured pens to make posters and mind-maps or to use coloured flash cards to make key points or question's and answers. If you're an auditory learner you may find it helps to record yourself speaking key points and listening to back to it. There are many ways to revise, it's just about finding what works.

I appreciate that this isn't very specific, I might be able to help further if you can tell me which aspects of Chemistry you're having trouble revising or if you just want some more revision tips. Anyway I hope this is of some help to you, I know that you can feel helpless during revision time and that you don't know if you're doing the right thing but I promise you there is not a right way to revise, it's just a matter of giving yourself plenty of time and trying different things until you get a combination that works for you personally. I hope that's of some help.

ReputationRep:
    I struggle mostly with the organic pathways? Any tips?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmad97h)
    I struggle mostly with the organic pathways? Any tips?
    That's one of the things I struggled the most with as well, I can think of a couple of things you could try. One you could make a giant poster (A2/A1) with different colours for different reactions linking them all together for example http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QmLDdCtxHK...-Reactions.png You could then put this somewhere in your study area where you'll see everyday or by your bed where you can look at it each night.

The other is you could use plain or coloured bits of paper, write each organic compound e.g. alkene, haloalkane on each bit of paper and have arrows and conditions on other bits of paper and practice putting them together kind of like a puzzle if that makes sense. Sometimes it helps to do something different.

Another suggestion would be to make question and answer flashcards, with the question on one side and the answer on the reverse for example what conditions are required to form a haloalkane from an alkane?

I hope that's of some help, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picture~Perfect)
    That's one of the things I struggled the most with as well, I can think of a couple of things you could try. One you could make a giant poster (A2/A1) with different colours for different reactions linking them all together for example http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QmLDdCtxHK...-Reactions.png You could then put this somewhere in your study area where you'll see everyday or by your bed where you can look at it each night.

The other is you could use plain or coloured bits of paper, write each organic compound e.g. alkene, haloalkane on each bit of paper and have arrows and conditions on other bits of paper and practice putting them together kind of like a puzzle if that makes sense. Sometimes it helps to do something different.

Another suggestion would be to make question and answer flashcards, with the question on one side and the answer on the reverse for example what conditions are required to form a haloalkane from an alkane?

I hope that's of some help, good luck
    Yeah, that seems like a good idea, this was really helpful, thanks!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.