Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Where did the idea of private school come from? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What is the main purpose these schools? Do they really prove to be beneficial for students?

ReputationRep:
    The idea originates from profit: everything in the private sector seeks to make profit, but in turn gets you a higher quality service or good. There are benefits and drawbacks with everything, but yes, private schools are worth it -otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    The idea originates from profit: everything in the private sector seeks to make profit, but in turn gets you a higher quality service or good. There are benefits and drawbacks with everything, but yes, private schools are worth it -otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually that depends. In my country (Denmark), the private schools are on average just a little better than publics schools, but in many cases it is not so. For example: We´ve got 10 public and 2 private IB schools in Denmark. On average the best one is one of the public ones (it´s even placed in a bad neighbourhood). That´s my school - and whenever anyone gets expelled they often go to the nearby super expensive private school (so they´re basically taking our trash - provided that the parents can pay).

Some private schools, especially in the UK, are better than the public schools. However, I spent 8.5 years at this academically advanced private school, but that certainly didn´t "prove beneficial" for me. I did get ahead academically, but I hated the school, so that was really not worth it. Therefore, do look into the individual school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikke1996)
    Actually that depends. In my country (Denmark), the private schools are on average just a little better than publics schools, but in many cases it is not so. For example: We´ve got 10 public and 2 private IB schools in Denmark. On average the best one is one of the public ones (it´s even placed in a bad neighbourhood). That´s my school - and whenever anyone gets expelled they often go to the nearby super expensive private school (so they´re basically taking our trash - provided that the parents can pay).

Some private schools, especially in the UK, are better than the public schools. However, I spent 8.5 years at this academically advanced private school, but that certainly didn´t "prove beneficial" for me. I did get ahead academically, but I hated the school, so that was really not worth it. Therefore, do look into the individual school.
    This was the general consensus. Obviously there will be better some state schools, but on average the private schools produce the best results. I'm referring to the UK here.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, parents want to be able to pay to give their students a better chance/ better education. Doesn't always work, but when there's a market for something with demand, it will be created. It's essentially like pay to win (if you play any sort of online games) people are usually able to *donate* or pay for an advantage over other players. However, like the use of private schools, it can be outweighed by people that either work harder or are simply just better. Also, increasingly, going to a private school seems to be disadvantaging students, as for some reason they're expected to do better so it's less of a big deal getting good grades for example that if they went to a non-selective state school.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main difference for my school (I got to a private international school) is the learning environment.
    Of course there is a fair share of local kids (around 25% I think) who have uber-rich parents, but most of us are internationals from middle class families.
    The teachers love to teach and they're able to really teach. A large majority here loves to learn, to explore, and it really shows. The community is open, loving, and everyone is accepted, which is partially because it's very international. You are almost guaranteed to find someone who has lived somewhere like you, and everyone's experiences are so interwoven, it's a very special feeling.
    Also, most of the money from these schools can be poured back into the school. The more students, the more resources they have. This enables (most) private schools to have state-of-the-art facilities, good technology, and most importantly, to have the budget needed to support students. The school can afford to employ a teacher just for extra study guidance, for those who need it. They can help students if their family can't afford a trip. My school has 2 - 3 scholarship students per class, who have to pay no tuition, and get a part of their trips funded per year. This provides those kids with opportunities they could possibly not have had at a state school in this country.
    Overall though I guess it depends on the school. There are a few other private schools here which are not as good as ours. I personally think it's worth it if you're inspired (and helped / encouraged) to learn, since that is the overall purpose of a school.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.