Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Is there any point to pass the CFA Claritas Exam to get into sales and trading ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm studying a triple bachelor (Math, Econ, CS) in France and I have a particular interest in developing skills related to roles of fixed income strategists or analysts.

I've just made some background research about the recently launched investment certificate Claritas by the CFA Institute (2013).

The point is that it is very new and I would like to know whether firms such as Goldman Sachs and its peer IBs or hedge funds would ever value this certificate, other things being equal (namely : good marks, leadership positions in university societies, excellent analytical and quantitative skills, etc).

Plus, for most people starting a career in finance, they'll have to pass the CFA. So, any use of this damn certificate ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsutomu)
    Hi guys,

I'm studying a triple bachelor (Math, Econ, CS) in France and I have a particular interest in developing skills related to roles of fixed income strategists or analysts.

I've just made some background research about the recently launched investment certificate Claritas by the CFA Institute (2013).

The point is that it is very new and I would like to know whether firms such as Goldman Sachs and its peer IBs or hedge funds would ever value this certificate, other things being equal (namely : good marks, leadership positions in university societies, excellent analytical and quantitative skills, etc).

Plus, for most people starting a career in finance, they'll have to pass the CFA. So, any use of this damn certificate ?
    I guess you could do it to differentiate yourself but why not just sit CFA Level 1 as you'll probably be embarking on the CFA program anyway once you start employment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snakesnake)
    I guess you could do it to differentiate yourself but why not just sit CFA Level 1 as you'll probably be embarking on the CFA program anyway once you start employment?
    So, sitting the CFA Level 1 can improve chances of being accepted for internships or what ?
    Because I really don't want to spend time and money on something that wouldn't improve my employability, so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsutomu)
    So, sitting the CFA Level 1 can improve chances of being accepted for internships or what ?
    Because I really don't want to spend time and money on something that wouldn't improve my employability, so to speak.
    I think it would definitely show your drive and interest in working in finance and differentiate you from the competition. As to whether this will be the make or break of your internship application, I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snakesnake)
    I think it would definitely show your drive and interest in working in finance and differentiate you from the competition. As to whether this will be the make or break of your internship application, I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't hurt.
    Thanks for your advice. I'll try to email some people in the City to know if a CFA qualification at an earlier stage during undergrad studies would make any difference.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 18, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.