Is there any point to pass the CFA Claritas Exam to get into sales and trading ?

Watch
tsutomu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm studying a triple bachelor (Math, Econ, CS) in France and I have a particular interest in developing skills related to roles of fixed income strategists or analysts.

I've just made some background research about the recently launched investment certificate Claritas by the CFA Institute (2013).

The point is that it is very new and I would like to know whether firms such as Goldman Sachs and its peer IBs or hedge funds would ever value this certificate, other things being equal (namely : good marks, leadership positions in university societies, excellent analytical and quantitative skills, etc).

Plus, for most people starting a career in finance, they'll have to pass the CFA. So, any use of this damn certificate ?
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tsutomu)
Hi guys,

I'm studying a triple bachelor (Math, Econ, CS) in France and I have a particular interest in developing skills related to roles of fixed income strategists or analysts.

I've just made some background research about the recently launched investment certificate Claritas by the CFA Institute (2013).

The point is that it is very new and I would like to know whether firms such as Goldman Sachs and its peer IBs or hedge funds would ever value this certificate, other things being equal (namely : good marks, leadership positions in university societies, excellent analytical and quantitative skills, etc).

Plus, for most people starting a career in finance, they'll have to pass the CFA. So, any use of this damn certificate ?
I guess you could do it to differentiate yourself but why not just sit CFA Level 1 as you'll probably be embarking on the CFA program anyway once you start employment?
tsutomu
Rep:
?
(Original post by snakesnake)
I guess you could do it to differentiate yourself but why not just sit CFA Level 1 as you'll probably be embarking on the CFA program anyway once you start employment?
So, sitting the CFA Level 1 can improve chances of being accepted for internships or what ?
Because I really don't want to spend time and money on something that wouldn't improve my employability, so to speak.
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tsutomu)
So, sitting the CFA Level 1 can improve chances of being accepted for internships or what ?
Because I really don't want to spend time and money on something that wouldn't improve my employability, so to speak.
I think it would definitely show your drive and interest in working in finance and differentiate you from the competition. As to whether this will be the make or break of your internship application, I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't hurt.
tsutomu
Rep:
?
(Original post by snakesnake)
I think it would definitely show your drive and interest in working in finance and differentiate you from the competition. As to whether this will be the make or break of your internship application, I'm not sure but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Thanks for your advice. I'll try to email some people in the City to know if a CFA qualification at an earlier stage during undergrad studies would make any difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed