Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Use the incompressible version of Bernoulli’s equation to estimate the flow-velocity when
    water from the top of a reservoir, 100 m above the river, reaches the river via a pipe. (neglect
    the atmospheric pressure change, and assume the water is flowing into the river at atmospheric
    pressure). If this flow was inside a pipe, calculate the pressure rise expected, based on
    Bernoulli’s equation, when the flow is stopped suddenly.

Hi,

Having a problem with this question assigned by my teacher. Using Bernouli's equation I simplified my expression from to

V1^2 = 981 + V2^2

Where V1 is the velocity at the bottom, and V2 at the top. Now my question is, how do we figure out the velocity at the top? Do we assume it to be zero? Or is there some way we can calculate it?

How exactly do we solve the 2nd part of this quesstion as well? I guess P1 is our atmospheric pressure, P2 is what we need to find.. and V2 would be zero, but what about the initial velocity and height?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.