Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

What are the advantages and disadvantages of machines (in surgery)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an assignment where I need to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of:

an x-ray machine,
    a CO2 Laser,
    anaesthetic machine (in surgery),

as well as having to suggest a few improvements. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think you can find a lot of info online - perhaps write what you think and then we can have a look at what you've written and suggest other things to look into. We're not here to do your homework for you, but happy to guide you in the right direction, make suggestion or explain things you don't get.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience an anaesthetic machine is quite useful to have around when it comes to surgery.

You can quote that in your assignment if you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ouchthathurts)
    In my experience an anaesthetic machine is quite useful to have around when it comes to surgery.

You can quote that in your assignment if you like.
    Thank you I managed to do it, but I'm sure a refer is on its way, but thats ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    I think you can find a lot of info online - perhaps write what you think and then we can have a look at what you've written and suggest other things to look into. We're not here to do your homework for you, but happy to guide you in the right direction, make suggestion or explain things you don't get.
    I know fully well that this website is not here to do my homework, and not expecting anyone who posted to do so. I was just trying to find a point or two, which maybe I hadn't thought of and then research the point further. I didn't expect full answers, nor did I want them.

ReputationRep:
    Well an anaesthetic machine is better than just getting bunch of nurses to hold the screaming animal down, and an x-ray machine is better than just guessing what is broken where. Disadvantages are risk of death and radiation exposure respectively, plus expense. Never encountered a laser before though, what is that used for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    Well an anaesthetic machine is better than just getting bunch of nurses to hold the screaming animal down, and an x-ray machine is better than just guessing what is broken where. Disadvantages are risk of death and radiation exposure respectively, plus expense. Never encountered a laser before though, what is that used for?
    Lasers are usually used for precise incisions. They're also useful because they seal off the blood vessels as soon as it cuts through them

ReputationRep:
    My three top tips - choose you machine carefully, apply common sense and don't blow your patient up!

ReputationRep:
    People sometimes rely on the machines too much, as one disadvantage. For example, an SPO2 monitor assesses percentage of oxygen, but doesn't necessarily tell you anything, grossly. One of my teachers used to phrase it as "that one red blood cell has 100% oxygen...but the animal is deathly anemic". People get hypnotised by listening to the beeps etc., and not watching the animal in front of them. Or conversely, the machine is acting up or malfunctioning and people are freaking out needlessly. Another teacher once told a story of putting I think it was an EKG on a dead patient...and it was still getting readings.

However it allows us to measure and monitor things it would be difficult to measure/monitor otherwise. For example, capnography tells you about the percentage CO2, from which you can extrapolate additional information that may pick up on changes more rapidly than a human can. WHILE still having a human doing checks and monitoring the animal.

For x-ray machines: yeah, long-term or repeated (however you want to phrase it) exposure to radiation would be the big negative. Improvements: less scatter would be one. In the UK another disadvantage would possibly be that the animal usually requires sedation, due to radiation exposure laws. Also, a disadvantage is it is a snapshot of a moment in time, rather than ultrasound which gives a more dynamic image. Advantages: it does some things that ultrasound/other modalities cannot (I'll let you investigate those), cost, as already mentioned imaging in general allows for better assessment.

Hopefully that gives you a start.

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.