Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm a shy 18yo girl, not particularly pretty or popular, and really interested in this guy at school but he's two years younger than me, very awkward but super mature. I've known him for a while and we've talked a bit so you could probably say we are friends.

Now his friends are trying to set him up with someone and they asked me - do I say yes or not? They want to set us up on a blind date but when I talked to him about it, he said that his friends were pushing him into it and he wasn't keen on the idea bc it would be really awkward. Should I ask him on a date as if I as pretending to "help him get used to the idea"?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
    I know I sound like another silly obsessed teenager but I really like this guy and I hate the idea that he could be going on a date with someone else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KitikatStrider)
    I'm a shy 18yo girl, not particularly pretty or popular, and really interested in this guy at school but he's two years younger than me, very awkward but super mature. I've known him for a while and we've talked a bit so you could probably say we are friends.

Now his friends are trying to set him up with someone and they asked me - do I say yes or not? They want to set us up on a blind date but when I talked to him about it, he said that his friends were pushing him into it and he wasn't keen on the idea bc it would be really awkward. Should I ask him on a date as if I as pretending to "help him get used to the idea"?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
    I know I sound like another silly obsessed teenager but I really like this guy and I hate the idea that he could be going on a date with someone else...
    personally, I think its the guy who should always ask the girl out, but if you really like this guy then go for it, maybe just discuss it with him and ask to hang out instead, so that it sounds more chilled out also if he is just basing you on looks then it isn't worth your time, as you should find a guy who likes you for not only your looks, and popularity definitely shouldn't matter! try be confident and just take it slowly if he feels things are being rushed!

all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Is the guy shy too? He is probably feeling that you, being two years older, wouldn't want to really go out w/ him. Why did his friends chose you for the 'blind' date? Perhaps its because he has expressed interest about you to them and they are trying to make something happen. Then when you brought it up he said he thought it would be awkward because he was covering for himself assuming you wouldn't really want to go out with him. Anyway, I'm just guessing at a scenario. Sounds like you two have a connection though so I would definitely pursue getting together with him. I agree with ^Izzy that it would be best if it was something casual. If his friends are the ones who approached you about the date then let them know you're up for getting together with him (casually) - then hope they help you out behind the scenes and encourage the guy to go.
    ****But - I hope you know his friends well enough to know that they are being sincere and not playing some kind of a hurtful game***

ReputationRep:
    Give him half of your twix, that always lets me know that a girl is into me.

Or a last rollo, but the hell still eats rollos ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalPsych)
    Give him half of your twix, that always lets me know that a girl is into me.

Or a last rollo, but the hell still eats rollos ?
    Winner of the best advice award :P thank you everyone for your time, I'll talk to him about it I'll let you know what happens

ReputationRep:
    I think the blind date sounds like a good idea but I'm not the one faced with the dilemma so I dunno but thts jst my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KitikatStrider)
    . Should I ask him on a date as if I as pretending to "help him get used to the idea"?
    No, because you aren't in a really bad 90s Romcom. If you want to go out with him ask him. The worst he can do is say no.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.