Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Transport at Lancaster University Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hey there

I currently have a car and will be selling it before i come to university however i also am able to ride motorbikes and wondered if anyone currently studying here can tell me if it would be worth using the money from the car to get a bike for university.

Does anyone have a bike or have a friend that does? and if so how useful is it to them?

My thoughts are being in halls, i will not need it in the first year but i have a house lined up for the second year onward so would a bike be recommended for the commute during that time or are the public transport links on time and cheap enough to use?

Running and maintaining the bike shouldn't be an issue cost wise, I've gone over my finances for that and i believe I'm okay so money aside, what are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trias1995)
    Hey there

I currently have a car and will be selling it before i come to university however i also am able to ride motorbikes and wondered if anyone currently studying here can tell me if it would be worth using the money from the car to get a bike for university.

Does anyone have a bike or have a friend that does? and if so how useful is it to them?

My thoughts are being in halls, i will not need it in the first year but i have a house lined up for the second year onward so would a bike be recommended for the commute during that time or are the public transport links on time and cheap enough to use?

Running and maintaining the bike shouldn't be an issue cost wise, I've gone over my finances for that and i believe I'm okay so money aside, what are your thoughts?
    Cycling between town and the university is quite common and there are plenty of places on campus to lock up. Unfortunately, having your bike stolen on campus is also quite common. Therefore make sure you get a proper lock (one of those D locks that can't be cut with bolt cutters are best) and insurance. I managed to tag bike insurance onto my general student insurance for about £20/year.

The public transport is pretty good and where I used to live took almost exactly the same time as cycling to university (as in, my front door to lecture theatre time). A three term bus pass is about £210 and there are buses roughly every ten minutes for most of the day (less in early morning and late evening).

Personally I mostly used public transport but it was nice to cycle on the rare days it's warm enough and dry to make it a pleasurable experience.
    Cycling on the A6 is direct to the university but not fun. There is a cycle track to the university which is a bit longer and hillier but a much more enjoyable ride

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Cycling between town and the university is quite common and there are plenty of places on campus to lock up. Unfortunately, having your bike stolen on campus is also quite common. Therefore make sure you get a proper lock (one of those D locks that can't be cut with bolt cutters are best) and insurance. I managed to tag bike insurance onto my general student insurance for about £20/year.

The public transport is pretty good and where I used to live took almost exactly the same time as cycling to university (as in, my front door to lecture theatre time). A three term bus pass is about £210 and there are buses roughly every ten minutes for most of the day (less in early morning and late evening).

Personally I mostly used public transport but it was nice to cycle on the rare days it's warm enough and dry to make it a pleasurable experience.
    Cycling on the A6 is direct to the university but not fun. There is a cycle track to the university which is a bit longer and hillier but a much more enjoyable ride

Fantastic!

Well i've just bought a nice bike so its a little worrying to hear about bike theft however i suppose its common wherever you go in the country so yeah ill be sure to get a good lock for it.

By the sounds of things then a motorbike really wouldn't be useful, well, not useful enough to justify the costs at least. I'll stick to cycling and buses then.

Thanks for your information

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.