Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I know its the day before the exam, but, wanting to just fine tune my knowledge base.

I am a little shaky on genetic disorders and inheritance.

I chose D; 25%.

I thought, the father was H h and the mother h h.

But if she is h h; and the disorder is dominant, then wouldnt that mean there would need to be HH together? Using the genotype of father as H h and mother as h h, I get Hh Hh, hh, hh. Is that why the answer is 50%?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The father is Hh and the mother is hh
    This means it is 50%
    H x h = Hh
    H x h = Hh
    h x h = hh
    h x h = hh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaffSmith)
    The father is Hh and the mother is hh
    This means it is 50%
    H x h = Hh
    H x h = Hh
    h x h = hh
    h x h = hh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought this was a dominant disorder, so the two dominant alleles would have to be present together; as in HH.

You got the same results as me it seems, but Im a little confused as to how to properly interpet them. I am leaning towards that it is the Hh Hh; given that is dominant and the hh is the genotype of a non-sufferer of the condition. Is my thinking correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)
    I thought this was a dominant disorder, so the two dominant alleles would have to be present together; as in HH.

You got the same results as me it seems, but Im a little confused as to how to properly interpet them. I am leaning towards that it is the Hh Hh; given that is dominant and the hh is the genotype of a non-sufferer of the condition. Is my thinking correct?
    If it's dominant only one H needs to be present.

So: Hh hH all result in huntingtons for that question

So Yh 50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nucleotide)
    If it's dominant only one H needs to be present.

So: Hh hH all result in huntingtons for that question

So Yh 50%
    Ok, stuck with this question,

Sex linked condititon, carrier female; (must be heterozygous) so H h

Male is un affected (must be homozygous dominant) HH

HxH=HH
    H x H=HH
    Hxh =Hh
    Hxh=Hh

So, the answer is 50%?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apronedsamurai)

It is a dominant condition so is cause by a dominant allele which is the D.
    A dominant allele makes the phenotype whenever it is present i.e it doesn't not have to be DD, whenever a D is present in the phenotype that will control the phenotype.

I hope this is a bit clearer xx

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.