Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Opening a university bank account Watch

ReputationRep:
    Guys I need urgent help! I'm looking to open a new bank for my student loans etc but I don't know which bank to choose? I need one that doesn't require a large monthly income and would possible give any rewards or a good interest rate? PLEASE HELP!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmarsh876)
    Guys I need urgent help! I'm looking to open a new bank for my student loans etc but I don't know which bank to choose? I need one that doesn't require a large monthly income and would possible give any rewards or a good interest rate? PLEASE HELP!
    You'd probably be best off looking at student bank accounts, most do still give good perks, but you won't get a decent interest rate on most current accounts let alone student accounts I'm afraid. The major perk of many student accounts can be interest free overdrafts- which are useful if you get into financial difficulties, but not so much at other times.

What might be a good idea is to get your student loans paid into a current account or student current account, and transfer some of the balance into a higher interest savings account where possible. As you won't have a high income, the interest rates still won't be great, but ISAs and other savings accounts that aren't instant access usually give you a better rate of interest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid the days of bank accounts giving decent interest rates are long gone - you're more likely to find that they want to charge you a monthly fee.

I agree with Slowloris that you're probably better off opening a student bank account - at least these are usually free - and then transferring anything spare into a savings account.

ReputationRep:
    Just open a current account and give the details of this to student finance. Then when it comes to you receiving your money in September, print the letter off track to show you're a student and get your account transferred to a student account. That's what I am planning to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmarsh876)
    Santander have a really good student account that has a free overdraft service and also a free 4 year rail card which reduces train fares by 1/3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    excellent advice here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate2996)
    Santander have a really good student account that has a free overdraft service and also a free 4 year rail card which reduces train fares by 1/3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And £1,500 overdraft (£2,000 in later years) in case you really get into problems

ReputationRep:
    Santander student account is amazing, definitely recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling happy now haha. Currently have a current account with Santander but may switch to a student one later so good to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.