ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    :noway: :blow:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkteddyx64)
    Yes I have got some! :yep:
    Cool! :cool:

Also, what lights should we use in our DMU Queens Building, instead of the MHs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    Cool! :cool:

Also, what lights should we use in our DMU Queens Building, instead of the MHs?
    LEDs. :yep:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Orange, red and yellow (and possibly green as well) bells = :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    LEDs. :yep:
    But wouldn't you have to use wall-mounted spotlights? As otherwise how would you be able to maintain such LEDs?

I suppose they could get an ordinary spotlight fixture and adapt it for an LED bulb? As the other type of spot light LED is the one with the LEDs built into the fixture - so if any problems occur, it's a new fixture rather than a replacement bulb.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (and possibly green as well)

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't you have to use wall-mounted spotlights? As otherwise how would you be able to maintain such LEDs?

I suppose they could get an ordinary spotlight fixture and adapt it for an LED bulb? As the other type of spot light LED is the one with the LEDs built into the fixture - so if any problems occur, it's a new fixture rather than a replacement bulb.
    I'm not quite sure.

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    When I next go in I'll get some pics for you. That way you'll then be able to (hopefully) see what the problem is and how we can rectify it, by seeing what lights we can put up.

I assume that the university chose MHs because they give off a reasonable amount of light, for 70W, and that they were the easiest fittings available to install. However maintaining MHs is a bit of a pain, especially when people don't know the signs of a faulty MH lamp/fitting. The fittings haven't been relamped as often as they should and this has damaged the ballasts.

hence the lights no longer work because the ballasts have let go, or the caps have let go. But chances are, if it is a cap issue, then the ballast is quite old and may not last long either.

I'm not quite sure.

ReputationRep:
    When I next go in I'll get some pics for you. That way you'll then be able to (hopefully) see what the problem is and how we can rectify it, by seeing what lights we can put up.

I assume that the university chose MHs because they give off a reasonable amount of light, for 70W, and that they were the easiest fittings available to install. However maintaining MHs is a bit of a pain, especially when people don't know the signs of a faulty MH lamp/fitting. The fittings haven't been relamped as often as they should and this has damaged the ballasts.

hence the lights no longer work because the ballasts have let go, or the caps have let go. But chances are, if it is a cap issue, then the ballast is quite old and may not last long either.
    By the way, do you have Twitter?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    By the way, do you have Twitter?
    Unfortunately I do not - was there a reason why you were asking?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Close the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I do not - was there a reason why you were asking?
    I wanted you to send a can I sue you because something unrelated tweet to a famous person.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.