• Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Goodnight :wavey:
    Night night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    Soooo...the value of y has the opposite sign of the value of x? I'm sure that's not technically correct I'll wait to see what Associativity has to say on the matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Generally, those double bars would be spoken to be the "modulus" or "mod" of the number (not to be confused with the modulo function, which is something different). So for instance, |x| would be read as "the modulus of x", or lazy (most) mathematicians would speak it to be "mod x". You might also hear this called the "absolute value", means the same.

The definition you gave was right in this context, for real numbers. You can think about it as the "Magnitude" of the number; i.e how big it is, regardless of its sign. So yes, you can define it as follows

{x, for x>=0
    |x|= {
    {-x. for x<0.

so |-5| = 5. Notice that for x=5 and x=-5, the value of |x| is the same. You can think of this as being because they have the same magnitude, just different signs.

ReputationRep:
    |x| has the shape of graph shown with both the person's hands going straight up, it's basically like drawing y=x, but reflecting everything left of the y axis in the x axis, to get a graph that looks like this: \/ (excuse ascii )

The other ones on there you might not have met are cot x (which is 1/tanx), log_a (x) (which is a number such that a^(log_a (x)) = x), and possibly x^2+y^2=a^2 (which is a circle).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I can't rate you Matrix, the maths vid is great.

Note, that the last one on your pic isn't actually a function, so they couldn't really include this and call it "Uptown Funktions" .

If you like that, you may like (perhaps even find useful) this, and other videos by these people. They're a bit of a novelty, but actually really useful for explaining how sorting algorithms work. Here is the folk dance for the quicksort algorithm.

You'll need an explanation on paper to understand how this works properly, but this is a nice demo.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Associativity)

Note, that the last one on your pic isn't actually a function, so they couldn't really include this and call it "Uptown Funktions" .

If you like that, you may like (perhaps even find useful) this, and other videos by these people. They're a bit of a novelty, but actually really useful for explaining how sorting algorithms work. Here is the folk dance for the quicksort algorithm.

You'll need an explanation on paper to understand how this works properly, but this is a nice demo.
    I'm glad you're chief morale officer :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    I'm glad you're chief morale officer :proud:
    How come
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    How come
    You're good at boosting morale :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    if u let me win I'll give you a cookie

(Original post by bluemadhatter)
    if u let me win I'll give you a cookie
    Deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Generally, those double bars would be spoken to be the "modulus" or "mod" of the number (not to be confused with the modulo function, which is something different). So for instance, |x| would be read as "the modulus of x", or lazy (most) mathematicians would speak it to be "mod x". You might also hear this called the "absolute value", means the same.

The definition you gave was right in this context, for real numbers. You can think about it as the "Magnitude" of the number; i.e how big it is, regardless of its sign. So yes, you can define it as follows

{x, for x>=0
    |x|= {
    {-x. for x<0.

so |-5| = 5. Notice that for x=5 and x=-5, the value of |x| is the same. You can think of this as being because they have the same magnitude, just different signs.
    Ohhh OK.
    Oooh that's cool! :yep: thanks for clearing that up
    |x| has the shape of graph shown with both the person's hands going straight up, it's basically like drawing y=x, but reflecting everything left of the y axis in the x axis, to get a graph that looks like this: \/ (excuse ascii )

The other ones on there you might not have met are cot x (which is 1/tanx), log_a (x) (which is a number such that a^(log_a (x)) = x), and possibly x^2+y^2=a^2 (which is a circle).
    Ahhh I understand I've come across the circle one before

No worries. Haha I'm glad you liked it well, it was rather enjoyable until my teacher played it and tried to get us to do the moves

Ahh that's absolutely unbelievable! Oh well, at least the others are right. Thanks for pointing that out

Oooh I love the sound of this! I'll watch it at some point today:yep: I'm learning about quicksort algorithms so I'm sure this will really come in handy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    \begin{equation*}R = 

\displaystyle{\sum_{i=1}^n (x_i-\bar{x})(y_i- 

\bar{y})}}{\displaystyle{\left[ 

\sum_{i=1}^n(x_i-\bar{x})^2 

\sum_{i=1}^n(y_i-\bar{y})^2\right]^{1/2}}} 

\end{equation*}

:proud:

ReputationRep:
    Did someone say cookie?:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Haha, this video is amazing! :yep: :top:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Morning :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    Morning :yawn:
    Morning, Ethan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Morning, Ethan!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Matrix!!! :jive:

How're you? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Matrix!!! :jive:

How're you? :hugs:
    I'm great thanks! :hugs:

How are you!? :jive:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm great thanks! :hugs:

How are you!? :jive:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty good! Feeling rested :closedeyes: and still revising :jive:

Any plans today? Happy 1st of May! Pinch punch, etc. etc. :mmm:

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.