The Student Room Group

FP3 maths exam help!

How do I integrate 0.5sin^2(2x)cos(x) ? It's an AQA past question and I don't understand the mark scheme!
Original post by pengpengzoom
How do I integrate 0.5sin^2(2x)cos(x) ? It's an AQA past question and I don't understand the mark scheme!

Start with the double angle formula.

What do you have now?
Original post by pengpengzoom

I did this question the other day! Yep, using the double angle formula for sin2x , squaring that all out, giving cos^3(x)sin^2(x) then replacing two of the cos(x)'s ( so cos^2(x)) with 1- sin^2(x), multiplying that out then you can integrate to give it in terms of sin^n(x) 's. If that makes sense. :smile:
Original post by ladygabriela97
I did this question the other day! Yep, using the double angle formula for sin2x , squaring that all out, giving cos^3(x)sin^2(x) then replacing two of the cos(x)'s ( so cos^2(x)) with 1- sin^2(x), multiplying that out then you can integrate to give it in terms of sin^n(x) 's. If that makes sense. :smile:

what did you get?
Expand it to 0.5(4sin^2(x)cos^2(x))cos(x) = 2cos^3(x)sin^2(x)

Then replace cos^2(x) with 1-sin^2(x) = 2cos(x)(1-sin^2(x))sin^2(x)

expand = 2cos(x)(sin^2(x)-sin^4(x)) -

= 2sin^2(x)cos(x) - 2sin^4(x)cos(x)

Then you should be able to use integration with substitution with u = sin(x), so dx = 1/cos(x) du

Giving you the integral of 2u^2 - 2u^4

= 2/3u^3 - 2/5u^5 + c = 2/3sin^3(x) - 2/5sin^5(x) + c

Hopefully that's right haha :smile:
Original post by Zenarthra
what did you get?

Sorry that I didn't reply! I hope your fp3 exam went well though, that last question was awful!

Quick Reply

Latest