Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    How have people using a word processor in exams inserted umlauts and ßs?
    It seems like it would be a laborious process to insert the character code each time, I'm on notepad so have no symbol list, and have been told by WJEC that I can't use 'á' instead of 'ä'.

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked if you can use ae instead of a with an umlaut?
    and ss instead of the other s thing?

I'm not sure, but they should be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you use the alt codes?

alt + 148 = ö
    alt + 132 = ä
    alt + 0252 = ü
    alt + 225 = ß

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Swiftie)
    Have you asked if you can use ae instead of a with an umlaut?
    and ss instead of the other s thing?

I'm not sure, but they should be allowed.

It's okay for the umlauts, I just think it's a bit odd-looking personally but I'll have to live with that.

With ss I'm not sure if there's a difference between scharfes S and ss, I know there was an official grammar revision a decade or two ago though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJon)
    Can't you use the alt codes?

alt + 148 = ö
    alt + 132 = ä
    alt + 0252 = ü
    alt + 225 = ß
    I think I'm probably going to put these in at the start and then just copy and paste them when I need to.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There is NO difference between ae, ue, oe and their respective umlaut forms, but you can configure your own shortcuts in Word.

There IS a difference between ss and the scharfes S, but this would not affect your grade or the comprehension of the text.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.