Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

ReputationRep:
    TSR should incorporate some kind of button that allows you to show your dissapproval towards post, it makes sense considering we have positive rep (which in its very nature displays our approval). Now before you jump down my throat, I'm not advocating the return of negative rep.

I am simply proposing a better alternative that cannot be miscontrued as bullying, offensiveness or oppressing user's real opinions (the reason why neg rep was abolished in the first place). Perhaps some sort of labels, such as agree and disagree. Also, it could be done in such a way that the labels don't influence reputation, thus it effectively portrays the general consensus towards a certain post without being 'aggresive', I would love something like this in debate threads, it would allow me to get a general idea of the feeling towards a certain view without having to scroll through countless pages to see how it has been received.

What do you rekon, surely a feature like this is more beneficial than childish badges.

ReputationRep:
    Nah allow that. Would be abused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futbol)
    Nah allow that. Would be abused.
    How can showing your approval or disapproval through simple labels be abused?

ReputationRep:
    Also, how do I set Arial as my default font, I don't like Times New Roman:nooo:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'd be surprised to see this returning given the demise of neg rep, but can appreciate the advantages that this could bring. It needn't be necessary for post ratings to be linked to accounts (though achieving that might require dev work).

(Original post by King Leonidas)
    Also, how do I set Arial as my default font, I don't like Times New Roman:nooo:
    I didn't think there *was* any option around fonts... but the site displays in Arial for me as it is. Do you get Times New Roman with all browsers? How about when logged out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I'd be surprised to see this returning given the demise of neg rep, but can appreciate the advantages that this could bring. It needn't be necessary for post ratings to be linked to accounts (though achieving that might require dev work).

I didn't think there *was* any option around fonts... but the site displays in Arial for me as it is. Do you get Times New Roman with all browsers? How about when logged out?
    Yeah, I suppose it is unlikely to happen after the removal of neg rep, and what do you mean it need not be linked to accounts?

The font was displaying as Times earlier when I was at the library, seems fine at home:dontknow:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I suppose it is unlikely to happen after the removal of neg rep, and what do you mean it need not be linked to accounts?

The font was displaying as Times earlier when I was at the library, seems fine at home:dontknow:
    I was trying to say essentially the same as you were with your "it could be done in such a way that the labels don't influence reputation", I think

ReputationRep:
    People like me would get disagreed to hell. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    TSR should incorporate some kind of button that allows you to show your dissapproval towards post, it makes sense considering we have positive rep (which in its very nature displays our approval). Now before you jump down my throat, I'm not advocating the return of negative rep.

I am simply proposing a better alternative that cannot be miscontrued as bullying, offensiveness or oppressing user's real opinions (the reason why neg rep was abolished in the first place). Perhaps some sort of labels, such as agree and disagree. Also, it could be done in such a way that the labels don't influence reputation, thus it effectively portrays the general consensus towards a certain post without being 'aggresive', I would love something like this in debate threads, it would allow me to get a general idea of the feeling towards a certain view without having to scroll through countless pages to see how it has been received.

What do you rekon, surely a feature like this is more beneficial than childish badges.
    Or, here's a novel idea. Why not engage with the argument and say why you disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Or, here's a novel idea. Why not engage with the argument and say why you disagree.
    You missed the total point of my suggestion.

I would love something like this in debate threads, it would allow me to get a general idea of the feeling towards a certain view without having to scroll through countless pages to see how it has been received.

ReputationRep:
    You missed the total point of my suggestion.
    Surely your opinion on an issue doesn't change based on what people are saying? That's incredibly fickle, if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I totally agree. When we had neg rep people would just get negged without explanation. You could post something totally inoffensive such as 'the sky is blue' and get negged. It's better to engage in debate and share opinions than just go around clicking 'agree' or 'disagree' without saying why.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.