Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Is a languages PGCE an advantage for jobs teaching tefl in say, Spain? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I did a PGCE in languages last year and am currently doing my NQT year at a secondary school in the UK. Before this I'd done the CELTA and spent a year in France as an English assistant giving conversation classes.

My question is, would the above be an advantage to applying for a TEFL job abroad? I'm thinking of going on a gap year to Spain next year but I know that Tefl teaching is very different I don't really have much true experience other than the CELTA (which I'm guessing a lot of people have), and in France I just did conversation classes, not any grammar teaching.

I've heard the tefl industry is competitive to get a good job in a good teaching English centre. For instance, a friend of mine had an English Literature degree and a Master's in English literature - she was one of three shortlisted for a job in Córdoba and they said they picked her in the end because she had a master's in English (as all three candidates were strong otherwise) - and that was after she'd had 6 month's teaching tefl experience elsewhere in Spain!!
    Not to mention that a tefl classroom would be very different to a secondary classroom (especially with regards to discipline?)

Any advice much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmymanc)
    Hi all,

I did a PGCE in languages last year and am currently doing my NQT year at a secondary school in the UK. Before this I'd done the CELTA and spent a year in France as an English assistant giving conversation classes.

My question is, would the above be an advantage to applying for a TEFL job abroad? I'm thinking of going on a gap year to Spain next year but I know that Tefl teaching is very different I don't really have much true experience other than the CELTA (which I'm guessing a lot of people have), and in France I just did conversation classes, not any grammar teaching.

I've heard the tefl industry is competitive to get a good job in a good teaching English centre. For instance, a friend of mine had an English Literature degree and a Master's in English literature - she was one of three shortlisted for a job in Córdoba and they said they picked her in the end because she had a master's in English (as all three candidates were strong otherwise) - and that was after she'd had 6 month's teaching tefl experience elsewhere in Spain!!
    Not to mention that a tefl classroom would be very different to a secondary classroom (especially with regards to discipline?)

I can only say that my son has worked in Spain teaching TEFL for five years now and only has a degree and a TEFL qualification. He's never found it difficult to get a job, even the first one when he had no experience, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling that a PGCE would only be advantageous abroad in the private international schools, rather than specifically in the TEFL sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmymanc)
    Hi all,

There are hundreds of jobs in Spain and I am sure having a PGCE will make absolutely no difference. It will only make a difference if you wanted to teach a subject at an International school. However, for TEFL, a PGCE might look good on your C.V. but it makes very little difference.

I am personally teach in Lisbon, Portugal. I know it isn't Spain but I am sure it is much the same and in fact there are less jobs here available than in Spain. I teach at a Private Language school and although I had done an Educational degree and the QTS part of my degree before dropping it last minute (long story), it clearly was not important. At my school out of the 6 new teachers at my school, only 2 of us had any kind of experience at all of teaching (except for their CELTA) and some had the strangest of degrees: For example one had a degree in Agriculture and another had a dregree in Ceramics.

So in summary, yes of course do a PGCE if you are hoping to teach a normal subject, if you think it will be useful in the future or just to look on your CV. However I personally think it will be a waste of time and money if you are solely doing it for TEFL. It is just not needed.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.