Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Conservatives: let's keep the ban on fox hunting. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hunting for necessity is fine. Hunting for sport is unnecessary cruelty. Let's keep the welfare of animals at a top priority.

Sign here if you agree.

https://www.change.org/p/david-camer...TUTY2xCwR7U%3D

ReputationRep:
    #****thebadgers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Hunting for necessity is fine. Hunting for sport is unnecessary cruelty. Let's keep the welfare of animals at a top priority.

Sign here if you agree.

So will we be banning fishing and hawking too?

ReputationRep:
    If the Tories spend their next term paying attention to stuff like this, they will be kaput, and the union will be gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)

Sign here if you agree.

You live in a city don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    You live in a city don't you?
    How is that relevant?

Are only country folk allowed to have an opinion on whether hunting a fox with a pack of dogs is ethical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    How is that relevant?

Are only country folk allowed to have an opinion on whether hunting a fox with a pack of dogs is ethical?
    I tend to find that as the ban properly screwed over large sections of the society living and working in the country side to appease people who had to be bused into the areas to show their faux outrage, I think whether or not hunting impacts on you does depends where you live.

I live in a city. I tend to find it difficult to express an opinion, let alone call for support on an issue that has no impact on me.

Let's be honest as well. It's the people who do the fox hunting you hate. Not the action.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to find that as the ban properly screwed over large sections of the society living and working in the country side to appease people who had to be bused into the areas to show their faux outrage, I think whether or not hunting impacts on you does depends where you live.

I live in a city. I tend to find it difficult to express an opinion, let alone call for support on an issue that has no impact on me.

Let's be honest as well. It's the people who do the fox hunting you hate. Not the action.
    Nope it's definitely the action I hate.

I volunteer with several conservation charities and they kill both foxes and deer so that other species can survive. There is a difference however with shooting an animal to protect a region or your livelihood or something and having an animal hunted and mauled by dogs for what amounts to a ritualised blood sport.

ReputationRep:
    Im a conservative supporter, and to be honest there are so many other things that are important over fox hunting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Nope it's definitely the action I hate.

I volunteer with several conservation charities and they kill both foxes and deer so that other species can survive. There is a difference however with shooting an animal to protect a region or your livelihood or something and having an animal hunted and mauled by dogs for what amounts to a ritualised blood sport.
    Ritualised blood sport that employ d thousands and was more of a rallying cry for the same idiots we saw attacking police officers and defacing war memorials in London recently.

I'm glad you acknowledge that animals need culling, so I guess my concern is against the emotional fruitarian types
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    If the Tories spend their next term paying attention to stuff like this, they will be kaput, and the union will be gone.
    I imagine the logic is to chuck something at the Backbenchers so they stay quiet. You don't want to spend the term dealing with rebellions on the issues that do matter.

(Original post by gladders)
    So will we be banning fishing and hawking too?
    I doubt most fox-hunters would cook and eat their prey after they catch it...

ReputationRep:
    Ritualised blood sport that employ d thousands and was more of a rallying cry for the same idiots we saw attacking police officers and defacing war memorials in London recently.

I'm glad you acknowledge that animals need culling, so I guess my concern is against the emotional fruitarian types
    Except that those jobs aren't really lost because you can hunt foxes without dogs, you can do trail hunting with dogs (which basically has them follow a scent but doesn't require an animal be mauled to death at the end), there are numerous other possibilities that don't require the fox to be butchered at the end of it.

It wasn't even an effective method of pest control, if it was that'd be something but it's like the Badger cull a lot of bluster over something that won't actually work to control a pest population, but farmers want it so we keep revisitng the same bloody issue every 10 or 20 years.

I'm a conservationist, i'm very aware that certain species need to be controlled but fox hunting didn't work and was needlessly cruel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Actaeon)
    I doubt most fox-hunters would cook and eat their prey after they catch it...
    Not everyone does that with fishing, and hawking is a pest-control thing. Which fox-hunting generally is, too.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    To be fair most of the old arguments I remember re: fox hunting have been shown to be a bit redundant. Everybody wondered what they'd do with all the dogs, the tradition, the horses, the show... well it's all still around, just the sport has changed to scent trails instead of actual foxes. Even the problem of foxes as a pest is suddenly less, it's hard to guard against them but because people now feel they have to, most coops are fairly fox-proof.

That and it's a barbaric method of controlling their numbers, I think it would be exceedingly regressive to bring back this one. Everybody is doing just fine without it, despite the claims that some hunts continue the practice unmonitored.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.