Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Quick question about uni bias:

I'd like to know what the general opinion is of people about semi-top universities (e.g.: Uni of Nottingham for Economics, top 33 in the world for economics but most certainly not overall) and their bias towards pupils who, for example, score Bs on their AS levels, and As overall on their A levels, and resit AS-levels to get As just cause. Would that eliminate their bias if, say, another pupil applies with the same grades but just with As in his first time through the AS levels (and the unis have to choose in between me and that one person)?

More 'in-depth' question about how to whine your way into a semi-top uni:

Having moved here this year from Romania, used to a strict school that would force you to sit 2 quizzes and 2 exams a week and 30 final exams a year (sets of 10 exams in 5 days), I got used to simply studying the day before the exam, mentally unable to do so otherwise. In rest, I just read A LOT around the subject, but just can't be bothered with knowing stuff so pointlessly in-depth as required for an exam.

I sat 8 IGCSEs and got 3As 2A*s, B in maths, 2Cs in Cores. This school I moved to is full of really half-assed teachers who have to look in the book to answer your questions (and goodness forbid if you dare attempt to debate with the teacher a socio-economic issue), the kids are very uninterested in academics, and I am unable to study because of my use to being forced to...

So, in short, I feel like I've messed up my two AS levels that I crammed for in 2 days before the exam (24 hours in total...) (yes, I do know it's my imbecility at fault here), likely getting only Bs.. and lower-end Bs too. I need AAAA in my A-levels to get to Nottingham and study Economics.

Would I be able to justify all this in my application to the University? The part about the school being terrible and me being used to a VERY different system that is bound to prepare even the weakest of pupils for difficult exams, and perhaps eliminate Nottingham's likely bias towards second-time sitters for AS levels? Does 'whining' or as I like to call it 'justification' tend to help with uni applications?

ReputationRep:
    Majority of uni's generally don't mind, apart from Oxbridge but even they would probably accept students who achieve very high grades on resits. As long as you meet or exceed their entry requirements then it doesn't matter. There's not really any bias, they're more likely to prefer a re-sit students with 3 A's than someone who achieved 3 straight B's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r-t)
    Majority of uni's generally don't mind, apart from Oxbridge but even they would probably accept students who achieve very high grades on resits. As long as you meet or exceed their entry requirements then it doesn't matter. There's not really any bias, they're more likely to prefer a re-sit students with 3 A's than someone who achieved 3 straight B's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed. Just like they're more likely to prefer someone with straight As over someone with overall As (and Bs in AS-level).

Besides, a teacher told me that I might just have messed up my entire life because I'd be supposed to retake the AS levels in the summer only (no longer are we allowed to sit modules at other times) and better universities might just not bother taking the word of the teachers that the pupil will take straight A**s....

It seems like moving schools has been quite disastrous to me. There goes my dream university for which I've been aiming for since I was 14. Oh, and self-pity doesn't seem to work either..

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.