Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have one more school direct interview and a TA job interview next week. The one I wanted said I wasn't quite ready for teacher training and advised being a TA for a year first.

I was just wondering, how many of you now in teacher training wished you'd done a year of being a TA first to get to grips with things on a slightly lower level and vice versa, anyone who feels they've wasted a year when they could almost be qualified?

I just want to get others' opinions on this, as I'm not sure what to do. With the Conservatives still being in power now things are going to change and get harder for teachers, but the tuition fees may go up for next years cohort. So many uncertainties I'm not sure I want to risk if I'm not yet experienced or confident enough.

Any advice would be greatly received

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I'm waiting to start a schools direct in September and am currently working as a TA. For the last 3 years I've being working as a TA in various schools and I think this has made me feel really confident and ready to so SD in September. I feel like I'm going into with my eyes wide open.

Good luck with your interview. If they offer a course place you could accept and ask the school if you can arrange some work experience with them before starting the course. So long as you come across as keen and enthusiastic about teaching young people in the interview you should be fine. 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanzy_91)
    Hi - I'm waiting to start a schools direct in September and am currently working as a TA. For the last 3 years I've being working as a TA in various schools and I think this has made me feel really confident and ready to so SD in September. I feel like I'm going into with my eyes wide open.

Good luck with your interview. If they offer a course place you could accept and ask the school if you can arrange some work experience with them before starting the course. So long as you come across as keen and enthusiastic about teaching young people in the interview you should be fine. ������
    Thanks I got EYTS last year but it didn't prepare me for anything and I got offered a great job but didn't have the experience they thought I had after getting EYTS. Really knocked my confidence and I decided to leave as they expected way too much of me to just cover for a year of maternity.

I think for me it makes more sense to soak up the school environment at my own pace, but I feel pressured if David Cameron is about to push up tuition fees again and if I manage to fluke a good interview next week. Also, the affiliating University is the same university that didn't support me or help me with academic support last year, so I have trust issues if I'm going to put myself through it this year.

It's so hard making these decisions as you never know what might happen in education.

Are you going to be doing a Primary SD? x

ReputationRep:
    I would agree it's worth while etting experience. Working as a TA allows you to observe lots of different teaching styles, behaviour management strategies and gives you an opportunity to try them out and get a good idea of what 'type' of teacher you'll be. If your not confident with university that you'll be partnered with then it makes sense to enter with experience as possible.
    I'm going to be doing secondary! Xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just thought I'd let you know, I withdrew my UCAS application and have been offered a TA job in September in a school that knows my intentions to apply for their School Direct and it's salaried. A much a better prospect than I would get rushing this year and I'll have a whole years TA experience under my belt. Thanks for your advice, it really helped me see that rushing to become a teacher isn't going to help anyone, and I can save more money on a TA wage this year than if I got an unsalaried school direct next year, as I got a 2:2 and won't get a bursary.

Good luck in your training x

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations of the new job! 😀🎉 Glad you've decided what route to take now. It's amazing that you've got a job in a school that does schools direct. I have a few friends who have TAed in a school and then done SD with them and they said it really helped as they knew all the staff & kids so were fully prepared for teacher training. I've been saving up money from my job too for September so it's definately achievable to get a good chunk of money saved.

Congratulations again! So happy for you. I hope have lots of fun in your new job. Working as a TA is amazing - I'd happily do it for the rest of my life if it wasn't for the pay.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.