Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Applying for Summer jobs as a student Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

In previous summers I have worked for Asda as they have always provided me hours. This summer they have told me they had work then at the last minute told me they cant afford to have me in this summer. So I have been forced to apply for other jobs. The problem being all the jobs I am applying for are permanent positions and they're not going to want a student returning to University in September.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a friend who said her mate used to just leave out that they went to university and work a different job every summer. Is this advisable as if they ask what I have been doing during the time I can just say working at Asda as I have technically been employed by them this whole time. I feel if I tell employers I am at university they wont give me an interview.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It's not a good idea to lie to employers in order to get a job, as they may find out either at the reference stage or later on that you're a student, and this may cause them to chose not to hire you or give you notice. In some cases, it may be that they wouldn't find out, but you'd have to keep the lie up the whole time you worked there, which may not be easy.

Applying for permanent positions when you only want temporary work doesn't seem like the best solution to me. A lot of places take on short term temps in the summer, for holiday cover or because they are busier. It might be a good idea to speak to some agencies and see if they can offer you any short term work over the summer as a starting point.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Tescos in June last year, as I was going to university in the September and they took me on. I was also able to transfer to a store closer to my uni which meant no stress of looking for a job again when I moved to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    don't lie to employers, you may want a reference from them later.

apply to places with a high staff turnover, seasonal work or large employers who may like cover for staff holidays. Supermarkets, hotels, bars, care homes are suitable places to look.

ReputationRep:
    Childcare providers are usually looking for bank staff during this time of year. I work in a holiday club for kids, which I've been able to go back to every school holiday and half term

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.