Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

In previous summers I have worked for Asda as they have always provided me hours. This summer they have told me they had work then at the last minute told me they cant afford to have me in this summer. So I have been forced to apply for other jobs. The problem being all the jobs I am applying for are permanent positions and they're not going to want a student returning to University in September.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a friend who said her mate used to just leave out that they went to university and work a different job every summer. Is this advisable as if they ask what I have been doing during the time I can just say working at Asda as I have technically been employed by them this whole time. I feel if I tell employers I am at university they wont give me an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camohoody)
    Hi everyone.
    This summer they have told me they had work then at the last minute told me they cant afford to have me in this summer.
    Really? Doesn't sound very professional. :/ Especially for a big, world wide retail supermarket like Asda.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah our store has a habit of not being very professional about things. I've constantly been ringing managers but they wont answer and when they say they'll get back to me they never do. To get in touch with anyone I have to ring customer services as the managers don't answer their phone. I even had customer services not answer 4 times in a row last week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat but with Sainsbury's.

Honestly you can tell them what you want, your only going to be there for a few months. I've applied for countless jobs, permanent and temp and generally left out that I've been to university, paid off so far with Tesco as I have an interview for them Thursday.

Most perm jobs will have you as a temp for the first few months of employment I'd imagine as well and wouldn't probably care if you just packed up and left.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

We are currently looking for people to promote our new game app at universities. If you want to earn cash then come and help us out!!!

We have just launched a game app called 1pGigTickets where players WIN tickets to music gigs and festivals for just 1p. The game is FREE to download and play and you can WIN gig tickets by playing a game. It's a very easy sell to students. Check the game out on the App Store (search 1pgigtickets)

We are looking for people to join our 1pGigTickets Street Team to help promote to students at universities around the country. You set your own hours (you are effectively self employed) and the more you put in the more you get out of it. We do have limited places at each university so be quick to sign up. You get paid for every download and registration of the game that you get.

You need to be bubbly, outgoing and able to start a conversation with almost anybody. If you want a job that's not stacking shelves, telesales or working at McDonalds (I've done that) then join our new, exciting and fun team. Send me a message if you are interested in hearing more.

Cheers

Neil

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.