Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachbowen_1)
    They have done it because on my last mock exam, they were joined together! And I completely panicked
    Yeah but was that an exemplar or an actual exam? Because my teachers an examiner and he's told us to just to do design and evil an suffering. He hardly taught us the other two haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie237)
    Yeah but was that an exemplar or an actual exam? Because my teachers an examiner and he's told us to just to do design and evil an suffering. He hardly taught us the other two haha
    It was an actual exam. I am focusing on design and evil and suffering too, which is why it worries me because if cosmological did join with design then I'm stuffed haha

ReputationRep:
    It was an actual exam. I am focusing on design and evil and suffering too, which is why it worries me because if cosmological did join with design then I'm stuffed haha
    Ah noo, I haven't even looked at cosmological, fingers crossed there's no sign of it then haha

ReputationRep:
    Ah noo, I haven't even looked at cosmological, fingers crossed there's no sign of it then haha
    What have you revised for the ethics side?

ReputationRep:
    They aren't rumours this actually happens haha
    Seriously? It hasn't happened in the history of the course! Where is everyone getting this information? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you!! I spend so much time like trying to impress the examiner in an introduction but then realise that I shouldn't actually do that. I have prepared to answer evil and suffering, design and situation ethics!
    No problem I have prepared for evil and suffering, design argument and utilitarianism with a little on situation ethics!

ReputationRep:
    They would not combine cosmological with design in part (i), however they could ask you to compare strengths and weaknesses of BOTH arguments in part (ii), although this is unlikely given they have only asked this once since 2009.

ReputationRep:
    It has happened!

ReputationRep:
    What have you revised for the ethics side?
    Been very risky and just done utilitarianism, I think I could blag sexual ethics but wouldn't want to have to :/ what about you?

ReputationRep:
    It has happened!
    Are you talking about the one question Cogitoergo mentioned...?

(Original post by cogitoergo)
    They would not combine cosmological with design in part (i), however they could ask you to compare strengths and weaknesses of BOTH arguments in part (ii), although this is unlikely given they have only asked this once since 2009.
    ^^^...?

ReputationRep:
    Well I teach AS/A2 Edexcel so any questions feel free to ask =)

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as your offering I'll pepper you with them How worried should I be that they're going to combine Design and Cosmological? And are they likely to have a paper with no utilitarianism whatsoever? I understand it would be speculation, but just your opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBB97)
    My teacher taught us mainly utilitarianism but at the end she taught us a rough bit on situation just in case they do mix util/situ...she gave us comparisons and just the main content of situation ethics really...but you never know, sometimes they mix them, sometimes they do them as separate questions..:/
    Ah right, you sound like you'd be able to cover it then It was last year when I did it, but we were never taught Religion and Morality, so I only have the other two to work with :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help above.

Out of interest, do you advise AS students to focus revision on only a few topics, in line with the structure of the paper? My teachers have taught all of it pretty evenly, in a "just to be on the safe side" sort of way, there's never been any hint of prioritisation or "make sure you revise one topic more than the other". I kind of wish they had done, now.

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as your offering I'll pepper you with them How worried should I be that they're going to combine Design and Cosmological? And are they likely to have a paper with no utilitarianism whatsoever? I understand it would be speculation, but just your opinion
    It is very unlikely that they will combine both of them.

Utilitarianism has always featured and interestingly situation ethics did not come up in the June 2014 paper. Personally I feel Situation Ethics will feature as an option alongside Utilitarianism in part (i). For example.

'Outline the key ideas of Utilitarianism or Situation Ethics (21).

If you are just learning Utilitarianism on the ethics side and nothing else, this is a massive risk and one I would not recommend my pupils to take.

ReputationRep:
    Been very risky and just done utilitarianism, I think I could blag sexual ethics but wouldn't want to have to :/ what about you?
    I have done situation ethics only haha!

ReputationRep:
    My class are going to completely hate my RS teacher (me included) if a design/cosmological argument question comes up haha.. she told us that was impossible.
    But at least now I can make sure I know a little bit of the other one too

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have told my group to learn five topics off by heart. The majority of them have decided to answer two philosophy questions, therefore they have learnt;

Cosmological
    Teleological
    Problem of Evil
    Utilitarianism
    Situation Ethics

This allows flexibility just in case some of the questions are worded horribly.

ReputationRep:
    It is very unlikely that they will combine both of them.

Utilitarianism has always featured and interestingly situation ethics did not come up in the June 2014 paper. Personally I feel Situation Ethics will feature as an option alongside Utilitarianism in part (i). For example.

'Outline the key ideas of Utilitarianism or Situation Ethics (21).

If you are just learning Utilitarianism on the ethics side and nothing else, this is a massive risk and one I would not recommend my pupils to take.
    Okay great, I'll be sure to brush up on Situation tonight then, thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomWeller)
    My class are going to completely hate my RS teacher (me included) if a design/cosmological argument question comes up haha.. she told us that was impossible.
    But at least now I can make sure I know a little bit of the other one too
    Well that is very unlikely to happen. I would ensure you learn the variations of the respective arguments in order to be awarded higher marks.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.