The Student Room Group

AQA Biology B2 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ccjk98
What did you guys use the 100m tape measure for on the 6mark?

i was an absolute idiot and said measure up the tree like as in put the tape measure up the trees but it was meant to be on the ground from centre of woodland to outside and then use light meter to show how leaves gradually decrease in size as you go out
I got 400 times for the magnifying question about the size of muscles in the stomach
Original post by Smingle
0.1mm (scale) = 4cm

4cm = 40mm

40/0.1 = 400

Anyone else get this for magnification?

yeah i got the same, spent so long thinking on it though:frown:
Reply 183
Original post by ellen199
i was an absolute idiot and said measure up the tree like as in put the tape measure up the trees but it was meant to be on the ground from centre of woodland to outside and then use light meter to show how leaves gradually decrease in size as you go out

now that makes sense! i did the same as you, i said place the tape measure vertically and measure the height of the plants to see how much they grew, oh dear!
For the magnification question I put 4000 instead of 400 and only realised it was 400 when I placed the paper in the invigilator's hands. I was so frustrated!

Also I was stuck on OP's question in the exam for about five minutes until I realised I was looking at the wrong graph & noticing that the second one was named 'stroke level' on the y axis made the question a little easier :P

The thing is, everything I had revised was on the paper (B3 is a different matter...) so I was quite happy with the questions! I don't think I've got anything higher than an A though, but those grades don't matter as much to me - I'll be absolutely amazed if I get As in any of the sciences because I got Bs and Cs in the mocks :smile:
Oh, and for the six marker I said about placing the transect from the centre of the woodland but then said that the transect should be placed at another location near the edge of the woodland to make it a fair test... I hope that's right!
Reply 186
what did you guys get for the ratio question?
What about the last question on the paper, mendel and his findings and why other scientists didn't think it was important ?
Original post by gfa_
now that makes sense! i did the same as you, i said place the tape measure vertically and measure the height of the plants to see how much they grew, oh dear!

hahaha in that moment we must have not really been thinking clearly
i put do repeats and calculate a mean so maybe thats one mark lol
Original post by gfa_
i put that down too

It was like a 1 mark question i thought that would be it :/ it was 1 mark right?
Original post by isachambers112
What about the last question on the paper, mendel and his findings and why other scientists didn't think it was important ?

I said that he was a monk and was not famous at the time
and that there was not enough evidence which was wrong i think sighs

they didn't have any knowledge about genes/DNA
and mendel was a monk not a trained or trusted scientist
...i think, that what i put
I hope the grade boundary is 40 / 60 for an A* :/
I found it okay. I got 1&2 & 400x, everything I looked so far I feel i done okay. I think I got 40-45

1) not enough evidence
2) people had a lack of knowledge on chromosomes and genes
the first 2 was homo and the last one was hereto
Original post by gfa_
to measure the height of the plant, but im not too sure that if that is correct

Ruler to measure the size of the leaf surely?? tape measure to lay out a transect kind of thing

i wrote that question in bullet points - wot our teach sed to do
someone please answer what was that question people are talking about on mitosis or meiosis and genetic variation...where was this/what was on the page with it I'm so scared i missed a page out
did anyone get the answer as to why ribosomes cannot be seen under a light microscope? It frustrated me so much:s-smilie:
Original post by asxhaa
what did you guys get for the ratio question?

I got 3:1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending