The Student Room Group

Any predictions for Health??

Every body seems to be doing Education, any body here doing Health?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakepro94
Every body seems to be doing Education, any body here doing Health?

Yep, me... Any idea what may appear? I barely have any essays for unit two compared with unit 1 :s-smilie: I'm hoping that's because there's fewer topics they can ask about and not because I've not prepared well enough.
Reply 2
Original post by mogwai98
Yep, me... Any idea what may appear? I barely have any essays for unit two compared with unit 1 :s-smilie: I'm hoping that's because there's fewer topics they can ask about and not because I've not prepared well enough.

Hi
I'm self teaching this unit and can hardly find any resources could you tell me if we need to refer to feminists etc in an essay like in unit 1.

My text book doesn't contain a lot of theory.

Thank you
Reply 3

I've noticed that the past papers don't really ask higher mark questions based on theories. I haven't seen a functionalist perspective on any of the papers so it may be likely. However, this section is less theoretical and more practical so I'm not sure.
Reply 4
Ive looked at the mark schemes and this topic hardly mentions them and my text book only refers to feminists and childbirth.

One mark scheme had a reference to capitalism with regard to materialistic explanations to health chances.

I dont really think we need to worry about theories for this paper unless I have this totally wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by dmet
Ive looked at the mark schemes and this topic hardly mentions them and my text book only refers to feminists and childbirth.

One mark scheme had a reference to capitalism with regard to materialistic explanations to health chances.

I dont really think we need to worry about theories for this paper unless I have this totally wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One of the past papers mentioned interactionists. I think that the theories should be researched just to be safe. The textbook Sociology Themes and Perspectives Student Handbook by Haralambos and Holborn goes into pretty good depth about the theories. I strongly recommend that book! It's a lot more comprehensive that the AQA textbook.
I've noticed that the past papers don't really ask higher mark questions based on theories. I haven't seen a functionalist perspective on any of the papers so it may be likely. However, this section is less theoretical and more practical so I'm not sure.

Hmm... I may work on the theoretical perspectives a bit just to make sure I'm covered in case AQA decide to throw that in there. There's nothing in my book about the functionalist perspective though, just feminist and Marxist. Do you have anything on that you wouldn't mind sharing? There's just so little in the way of resources online for this topic :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Hmm... I may work on the theoretical perspectives a bit just to make sure I'm covered in case AQA decide to throw that in there. There's nothing in my book about the functionalist perspective though, just feminist and Marxist. Do you have anything on that you wouldn't mind sharing? There's just so little in the way of resources online for this topic :s-smilie:

There's only one functionalist perspective that I know of, and that's Parsons'. He theorised the 'sick role' which I'm sure is mentioned in your book - it's a key concept. If not I can post the section of Parsons' theory and its criticisms.
There's only one functionalist perspective that I know of, and that's Parsons'. He theorised the 'sick role' which I'm sure is mentioned in your book - it's a key concept. If not I can post the section of Parsons' theory and its criticisms.

Ah okay, yeah if that's all there is then I have that.
Reply 9
Does anyone have any predictions to be honest Im self teaching and have spent the majority of my time on SCLY1 afraid I've left this exam a bit late to get the grades I was hoping for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Ah okay, yeah if that's all there is then I have that.

Thank you for that, there definitely seems more in your book than mine.
Reply 12
As the 20 marker was on differences in health care last year, is it possible this year it could be on health chances? Mental illness also hasn't come up since 2012 so I'm thinking this may appear.
Reply 14
I just hope its not disability I struggle with the socially constructed explanation.

Could you put it into context for me I really can't get my head around it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dmet
I just hope its not disability I struggle with the socially constructed explanation.

Could you put it into context for me I really can't get my head around it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My understanding is this...Disability is a social construct because the way it's perceived has varied over time. Prior to the Industrial Revolution, those with a disability made a living through begging and were cared for by relatives. When work moved to being largely factory based, those with disabilities became a problem that had to be dealt with (disabled people can't do this sort of work due to the physical demands it places on the worker) - it's constructed as a problem when it needn't be viewed in that way.
If it comes up, you'd need to bring in the two models of disability. The medical model thinks the disabled people need to adapt to society while the social model says society should adapt for disabled people - people are only 'disabled' if they're not allowed to live like everyone else and are treated as inferior due to this 'master status'. If a wheelchair user can't get into a building due to there being steps, the medical model would suggest this is because of the wheelchair. The social model would say it's the steps that are the disabling barrier in that example.

So, there's no fixed or objective definition of disability that has remained constant over time - it's a social construct.
My Sociology teachers have given us a few predictions based on trends from the past 5 years.

Guesses for Health
1. Examine the view that those who enter the sick role do not always do it legitimately. (12 marks)
2. Examine the criticisms of the social model of health. (12 marks)
3. Assess the view that the bio-medical model is the main way that we diagnose and treat illness in today's society (20 marks)
4. Examine the view that private health care is only available to the upper classes and this contributes to the social class differences in health chances (20 marks)
5. Assess the Marxist/Functionalist/Feminist contribution to our study of health among different social groups (20 marks)
6. Assess the view that there are international differences which affects a person's health chances and/or access to health care. (20 marks)

Guesses for Methods in Context
- Children
- Complementary medicine
- Dentists
- Body shape
- Walk-in centres

Guesses for Research Methods
1. Examine the advantages of the use of positivistic and/or interpretivistic methods to study society (20 marks)
2. Examine the problems of using overt observations to conduct sociological research (20 marks)
3. Examine the advantages of using structured interviews to study society (20 marks)
-Focus groups and experiments have never been asked.
-Documents are very rare.
-Interviews and questionnaires are most popular.

Hope this helps and Good Luck to you all :smile:
Reply 17
Reply 18
The methods in context essay using PERVERT to answer the question suggests examples.

I cant find studies or theories in my text book.

Could someone help me please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dmet
The methods in context essay using PERVERT to answer the question suggests examples.

I cant find studies or theories in my text book.

Could someone help me please.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For which methods do you want examples? Think there may be some in my book.

Quick Reply