Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Any predictions for Health?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesspeachy)
    My Sociology teachers have given us a few predictions based on trends from the past 5 years.

Guesses for Health
    1. Examine the view that those who enter the sick role do not always do it legitimately. (12 marks)
    2. Examine the criticisms of the social model of health. (12 marks)
    3. Assess the view that the bio-medical model is the main way that we diagnose and treat illness in today's society (20 marks)
    4. Examine the view that private health care is only available to the upper classes and this contributes to the social class differences in health chances (20 marks)
    5. Assess the Marxist/Functionalist/Feminist contribution to our study of health among different social groups (20 marks)
    6. Assess the view that there are international differences which affects a person's health chances and/or access to health care. (20 marks)

Hope this helps and Good Luck to you all
    Thank you for this
    Can't say some of those 20 markers aren't scaring me right now though...
    I feel completely unprepared for this exam. Think I spent too much of my revision on Unit 1.

ReputationRep:
    Im the same Im not ready do you have any studies or evidence for the methods in context or research methods questions. I cant find anything but Parsons in my text book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mogwai98)
    Thank you for this
    Can't say some of those 20 markers aren't scaring me right now though...
    I feel completely unprepared for this exam. Think I spent too much of my revision on Unit 1.
    No problem, happy to help!
    Me too, I feel like I know absolutely nothing at all - probably because I don't. I find it so hard to revise because I'm too easily distracted, so I'm just hoping the examiners are going to be kind!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any notes for the international differences.

My text book has a paragraph only not enough information to write an essay on.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No problem, happy to help!
    Me too, I feel like I know absolutely nothing at all - probably because I don't. I find it so hard to revise because I'm too easily distracted, so I'm just hoping the examiners are going to be kind!
    See I messed U1 up somewhat so I'm really feeling the pressure now to do better with tomorrow's exam, but I'm thinking it's just not going to happen. Yeah, hopefully they'll be nice to us

ReputationRep:
    Would it be relevant to revise for the different theoretical perspectives on research? It doesn't look like feminist or postmodernist questions are usually asked in this topic but they're mentioned in my book. Ugh!

ReputationRep:
    I would a little bit I have for evaluations for instance materialistic to link with capitalist and marxist, the sick role & Parsons and feminists to do with gender questions on health. But thats all I have in my text book and there are references to theories in the mark schemes.

Then theres positivitist and interpretivist for theories but all I have on this is half a page in the text book.

Do you have any good notes, predictions or tips for tomorrow I'm not confident at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakepro94)
    Would it be relevant to revise for the different theoretical perspectives on research? It doesn't look like feminist or postmodernist questions are usually asked in this topic but they're mentioned in my book. Ugh!
    I am revising some perspectives, just in case.
    Hope nothing on postmodernism comes up because I have next to nothing to say about it. I suppose ideas about the body being a project (Shilling)... Plus them supporting the rise of the alternative model of health because the medical model is a controlling meta narrative. Not sure what else there is to say at this level.

Don't think I've ever felt this apprehensive about an exam before

ReputationRep:
    Health; mental illness (I sure hope it does) might come up as it hasn't come up since 2010 and the same with health inequalities. Mental illness may be a 20 mark btw; I think inequalities will most likely be a 12 mark as it hasn't come up in a while. Good luck for tomorrow!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am revising some perspectives, just in case.
    Hope nothing on postmodernism comes up because I have next to nothing to say about it. I suppose ideas about the body being a project (Shilling)... Plus them supporting the rise of the alternative model of health because the medical model is a controlling meta narrative. Not sure what else there is to say at this level.

Don't think I've ever felt this apprehensive about an exam before
    Postmodernism isn't vital is it? I'm sure you can still get 20/20 without postmodernism. Depends on how much time you have left to include it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmet)
    I would a little bit I have for evaluations for instance materialistic to link with capitalist and marxist, the sick role & Parsons and feminists to do with gender questions on health. But thats all I have in my text book and there are references to theories in the mark schemes.

Then theres positivitist and interpretivist for theories but all I have on this is half a page in the text book.

Do you have any good notes, predictions or tips for tomorrow I'm not confident at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My teacher says that mental illness and inequalities hasn't come up since 2010 so there's a good chance they may come up. Look through notes and remember key terms, I'm sure you'll do fine! Keep calm and think positive, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakepro94)
    Yeah that's what I've been looking up as theoretical approaches haven't come up in awhile :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethhhgg)
    Postmodernism isn't vital is it? I'm sure you can still get 20/20 without postmodernism. Depends on how much time you have left to include it
    I don't think so, no.... Hope not.

Good luck with the exam I hope mental illness comes up, feel prepared for that one.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, no.... Hope not.

Good luck with the exam I hope mental illness comes up, feel prepared for that one.
    Like wise! me too, i hope!!

ReputationRep:
    Could you tell me the main points for mental illness, this is an essay I dread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmet)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    - Mentally ill people are usually considered 'abnormal' and are rejected from society.

- The Medical/Psychiatric Model argues that the mentally ill need to be treated by qualified practitioners. Mental illness is caused by two factors: bad childhood experiences that need to be treated with a psychoanalytic approach and/or chemical and hormonal imbalances that can be addressed with prescribed medication.

- The Labeling Theory challenges the Medical Model. It views mental illness as a social construct and claims that medical professionals exert their authority by making the inferior and vulnerable mentally ill submissive, thus justifying their actions and treatments. Key theorists:

* Scheff - mental illness does not exist and is just a label applied to deviant behavior that is not comprehended by society.

* Goffman - Mental illness label used as a ploy by the powerful. Found that in 1968 people were admitted to asylums involuntarily with little evidence of significant illness.

* Rosenhan - conducted a study in 1970s asking eight researchers to voluntarily fabricate their claims of schizophrenia to be admitted to a mental asylum. Medical staff diagnosed them as schizophrenic.

* Gove criticised the Labeling Theory as dismissing serious illnesses and ignoring the fact that many medical staff are supportive and compassionate.

- Ethnicity is a key concept. Nazroo found that African Caribbean groups were more likely to be diagnosed with depression than South Asian groups. He attributed this to several factors, such as unemployment, underachievement at school, poverty, homelessness etc.

* Fernando argued that conclusions stem from cultural bias and lack of cultural understanding within the healthcare system.

- Gender - Williams & Watson blamed women's psychological problems on sexual and physical abuse from the men in their lives. Women are more likely to be diagnosed with mental illness. Women also take more antidepressants than men.

* Sociologists argue that women are just more likely to seek help, however, feminists argue social pressures on women.
    * Brown identified that working-class women suffered more life trauma (poverty, stress, divorce) than middle-class women.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    My Sociology teachers have given us a few predictions based on trends from the past 5 years.

Guesses for Health
    1. Examine the view that those who enter the sick role do not always do it legitimately. (12 marks)
    2. Examine the criticisms of the social model of health. (12 marks)
    3. Assess the view that the bio-medical model is the main way that we diagnose and treat illness in today's society (20 marks)
    4. Examine the view that private health care is only available to the upper classes and this contributes to the social class differences in health chances (20 marks)
    5. Assess the Marxist/Functionalist/Feminist contribution to our study of health among different social groups (20 marks)
    6. Assess the view that there are international differences which affects a person's health chances and/or access to health care. (20 marks)

Guesses for Methods in Context
    - Children
    - Complementary medicine
    - Dentists
    - Body shape
    - Walk-in centres

Guesses for Research Methods
    1. Examine the advantages of the use of positivistic and/or interpretivistic methods to study society (20 marks)
    2. Examine the problems of using overt observations to conduct sociological research (20 marks)
    3. Examine the advantages of using structured interviews to study society (20 marks)
    -Focus groups and experiments have never been asked.
    -Documents are very rare.
    -Interviews and questionnaires are most popular.

Hope this helps and Good Luck to you all
    1. Examine the view that those who enter the sick role do not always do it legitimately. (12 marks) what do you mean by that question??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmet)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the main points would include:
    Mental illness as a social realism perspective (Mental illness is real and exists)
    Mental illness as a social construct (Mental illness is socially constructed as it varies within societies, for example: behaviour that is seen as normal in one society is madness in another. (Afro-Caribbean people walk around their streets talking to their dead ancestors, if people did this in the UK, they would be labelled as Schizophrenic)

This is where you would go on to discuss the labelling theory, and the negative consequences of labelling someone as mentally ill.
    1. Lose their job, friends, family and their normal behaviour may also be defined as mentally ill.
    2. Mortification of self - when they enter a mental institute they are stripped of their presenting culture (clothes, hair, piercings, makeup, and name) and are ready to take on their new role as patient number 784.
    The person can live up to this role, self fulfilling prophecy or reject this role.
    Criticisms of labelling theory -
    1. Some have mental problems before they are labelled
    2. Some show symptoms before labelled
    3. Theory doesn't explain cause of mental illness, just why it happens.

Foucalts perspective:
    There was a shift in the way people thought in 18th century, if people were seen as thinking irrationally they were seen as mentally ill. Mental illness is said to be a modern invention.

Treatment:
    Institiutional and community care, discuss pro's and con's etc..

Structuralist perspective:
    Ethnicity (again Afro-Caribbeans being 3-5 times more likely to get schizophrenia due to racism and also being deprived.
    However, labelling theory suggests that its they way they act that gets them labelled that way.

Gender (women more likely to be defined as mentally ill, due to 3 times more likely to suffer from depression, due to stressful lives, triple shift. Feminists believe men define women as mentally ill as another way to control them)

Social class (poorest and most excluded are most likely to suffer. Social capital - if you have a good network of friends and happiness you are less likely to become mentally ill)

Thats it really, hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you & good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keileymclachlan)
    1. Examine the view that those who enter the sick role do not always do it legitimately. (12 marks) what do you mean by that question??
    I'm really not too sure myself, we just got a list of predictions and didn't get much time to discuss them. Looking through my notes I can't seem to find anything that could explain this, you could possibly start by introducing Parsons sick role theory and discussing how medical professionals are required to determine whether a person is sick or not to prevent people from mistreating the system. Thats all I can think of

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.