Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Taking Computer Science at Cambridge. Too late to transfer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I apologise if this topic has been done to death, but I can't seem to find any information on transferring/dropping out after the UCAS deadline or any related anecdotal experience.

I am currently taking Computer Science at Cambridge, and will finish my exams mid June. I am disliking my time here and finding myself in an awkward place. I dislike the way in which the course is taught here; with very little independent study or free time and find myself horribly out of place socially. This has led to some horrible bouts of depression and loneliness.

I realised this in first term and applied rather half heartedly through UCAS to two other top universities in London; who both rejected my application.

I was wondering whether there was anything else I could do? I am not sure if I can survive another two years here and feel a little bit boxed in by my situation. Knowing full well that I am well past the UCAS deadline. Is it worth contacting any universities (UCL, or Kings) once I get my results for this year? and is there any other way I can perhaps transfer to second year or drop out and get in to a first year somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should wait until the summer and try to secure a place through UCAS Clearing. Although unlikely, UCL and King's may be willing to consider second year transfers; particularly from Cambridge provided your marks have been good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maizeq)
    I apologise if this topic has been done to death, but I can't seem to find any information on transferring/dropping out after the UCAS deadline or any related anecdotal experience.

I am currently taking Computer Science at Cambridge, and will finish my exams mid June. I am disliking my time here and finding myself in an awkward place. I dislike the way in which the course is taught here; with very little independent study or free time and find myself horribly out of place socially. This has led to some horrible bouts of depression and loneliness.

I realised this in first term and applied rather half heartedly through UCAS to two other top universities in London; who both rejected my application.

I was wondering whether there was anything else I could do? I am not sure if I can survive another two years here and feel a little bit boxed in by my situation. Knowing full well that I am well past the UCAS deadline. Is it worth contacting any universities (UCL, or Kings) once I get my results for this year? and is there any other way I can perhaps transfer to second year or drop out and get in to a first year somewhere else.
    You can still apply up until June 30th. Try ringing the relevant departments and asking - they will know a lot more than us.

ReputationRep:

Try searching through this sticky first. It may answer some of your questions.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you apply through UCAS Extra, I think extra deadline is in July, the best thing is contacting UCL and KCL and asking if they would accept transfers and if they say they will accept you then you can phone ucas to see what the next steps are

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies.

Unfortunately, I have scoured that thread and haven't found much on whether you can/should still apply past the January 2015 deadline and whether it would be worth doing.

So I was wondering if there was anyone with some anecdotal experience with doing such a thing and the right way to go about it.

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately, I have scoured that thread and haven't found much on whether you can/should still apply past the January 2015 deadline and whether it would be worth doing.

So I was wondering if there was anyone with some anecdotal experience with doing such a thing and the right way to go about it.
    I would say it isn't worth applying now - there will not be anything left of the calibre you will be interested in. If you want to transfer, all you can do is contact places you are interested in directly and ask them what to do.

ReputationRep:

The January 15th deadline is only for equal consideration. Many people have applied since then and been offered places. More on deadlines is here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...rack/key-dates

As I suggested above, your best bet is to contact unis directly to ask whether they would accept your application now and whether they would take you into second year. Even if someone comes up with an anecdote in which they succeeded in transfering, the circumstances would have been different and it would have been in the past.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.