Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

History edexcel international relations cold war 15 mark question Watch

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how to answer this question its the only one i'm stuck on thanks

ReputationRep:
    If its the one on importance it is 3 separate paragraphs explaining the importance of the three things asked.

ReputationRep:
    ye it is that one

ReputationRep:
    This is a example, not sure if its completely right but its a rought guide. You may not be able to write this much in the real exam. (I only have 2 here and 3 choices, but in the real thing its 3 I think and maybe 4 choices)Explain the importanceof three of the following in international relations;
    • Apollo-Soyuz Mission
    • Helsinki Conferences
    • SALT treaties
    The Apollo-SoyuzMission was important because it showed the world symbolically thatthe US and the USSR had reached a period of peace. During 'The Thaw'after 1955, both Superpowers competed in the space race to get thefirst man into space, the Apollo-Soyez Mission on 1975 was a jointspace venture which demonstrates the progress that the Superpowershave made. The space mission lasted 9 days and there was a symbolichandshake between both sides in addition to four transfers betweentheir spacecraft during this time. It was a piece of Detentepropaganda as much attention was given to television coverage andsymbolism such as both space crews sharing a meal, hearing for the USand Soviet leaders, President Ford and Brezhnev as well as theexchange of plaques flags and certificates.

The HelsinkiConferences were important because they lead to greater cooperationbetween Eastern and Western countries. In 1975, the USA, USSR and 33other countries signed the Helsinki agreements. These agreementscalled for changes in security such as for all countries to recogniseEurope's frontiers which included the USSR accepting the existence ofWest Germany as well as forbidden countries to interfere in theinternal affairs of another country which is important as it wouldlead to less conflict between the superpowers. Furthermore, economic,scientific and cultural links were improved, an example of this isthat there was increased trade between the USA and USSR as the USAwould buy oil from USSA and the USSR would buy wheat form USA.

for some reason when i copied this the spaces went weird.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.