Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What's the normal waist for 5'7, 144-lbs guy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As title stated, just curious.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Remember hearing something about it being half your height, so for you that would equate to around 33". This is your waist though, not your hips (where you'd wear your jeans)

N.B. This was done at Cass in London, "The researchers at Cass Business School at City University, London, came up with the calculation after looking at records of more than 300,000 adults spanning 20 years. Dr Margaret Ashwell told the Sunday Times it should be used as a simple health check that anyone can do at home."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDaave)
    Remember hearing something about it being half your height, so for you that would equate to around 33". This is your waist though, not your hips (where you'd wear your jeans)

N.B. This was done at Cass in London, "The researchers at Cass Business School at City University, London, came up with the calculation after looking at records of more than 300,000 adults spanning 20 years. Dr Margaret Ashwell told the Sunday Times it should be used as a simple health check that anyone can do at home."
    Half your height is the upper limit on healthy really, beyond somewhere around that risk factors associated with being overweight increase dramatically. Its certainly not something you should strive for (you should be lower).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indieguy)
    As title stated, just curious.
    Between 28 and 34 inches at a guess. At 34 you'd be looking a tad hefty probably. What size are you fella?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much muscle one has and what bodyfat you're at honestly. A dude can be 144lbs ripped, lean, average or skinnyfat at that weight. The waist alone isn't a good indicator. But generally health guidelines say below 37 inches is healthy.

Source: [http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51]

ReputationRep:
    Depends on body composition. 33/34 if you've got a fair bit of bodyfat, esp in the belly area. (I think I peaked at 34@5'5 at a similar weight)

But someone at that height/weight could easily be 28-30 if they were lean.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'8 and around 28.5, I'm quite lean though

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to point out I referenced a study, I personally wouldn't agree, i'd go for around 29/30"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have 32" waist. And thought I wasn't normal.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go by the half your height rule. That puts me at 36 inches and I'm still hugely fat with a waist of around 32". Still got muffin tops going on!

ReputationRep:
    Just to further qualify this, the size of your trousers or jeans isn't your waist size. That's the measurement of your hips, your waist is around your bellybutton.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 17, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.