Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomicmat)
    I feel exactly the same! I'm going to be resitting probably..think it's my speaking that'll bring it down! I need an A so I have slack for year 13, id love to do it at uni 😁
    I got a B last year at AS. I was one UMS off an A. Got an A in my speaking but think writing brought it down. Only rest the paper so hopefully it went better! I'm going to German at Uni so would like an A overall but think chances are very slim! Thank god for unconditional offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Leanne!

I'm going to do German at uni too! I'd love to exchange contact details with you, if you don't mind?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where we can view this years paper? I'd like to estimate a mark considering the boundary is rather high this year 😁😞

ReputationRep:
    The boundary for an A seems unnervingly high...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomicmat)
    Does anyone know where we can view this years paper? I'd like to estimate a mark considering the boundary is rather high this year 😁😞
    Someone's put all the papers up somewhere on here but I can't remember who it was. Might be in a level results day thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why are the grade boundaries for this exam always so ridiculously high? Hmm, let me guess...

Native speakers shouldn't be able to take the exam because it's categorically unfair for the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be lucky getting a B at this point hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WriterOfWrongs)
    Someone's put all the papers up somewhere on here but I can't remember who it was. Might be in a level results day thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, okay thank you ☺️ Good luck for tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Should ban retakes in languages imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yebszy)
    Hey Leanne!

I'm going to do German at uni too! I'd love to exchange contact details with you, if you don't mind?
    Sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    Should ban retakes in languages imo
    Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leanne1455)
    Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pushes up grade boundaries stupidly high if a large proportion of people taking the exam are A2 students

ReputationRep:
    Pushes up grade boundaries stupidly high if a large proportion of people taking the exam are A2 students
    Good point! What they expect of language students is ridiculous these days. The language I have learnt at A level is completely different to the language used in Germany. My best friend is German and lives there and I can honestly say in all the time I have spent there my A level has barely helped me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This exam proved in my college to be horrendous - I got an A in my speaking but a D in my exam - disappointed with a C whereas the only other English person in my class wasn't so lucky - really think this exam screwed my college over but I could also blame the fact that either I didn't work hard enough (doubtful, I got 3 A's) or that my college are stupid enough to have a class size of 30 with near-fluent European students.
    Definitely think this needs to change but I guess it's too late now.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in this exam but a C in my speaking so a B overall
    5 ums off the A, I might get the speaking remarked

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think there has been a mistake actually! On the raw UMS converter, it says the threshold for a B is 81 - MY PAPER SAYS 83 IN UNIT 1 bUT IT SAYS a D???

ReputationRep:
    B in exam but A in speaking, thankfully scraped an A overall with an 80.5 ums average!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicole_wilson)
    I think there has been a mistake actually! On the raw UMS converter, it says the threshold for a B is 81 - MY PAPER SAYS 83 IN UNIT 1 bUT IT SAYS a D???
    Threshold for a B is 81 raw marks, your 83 is a UMS score - which equates to 73 raw marks... you are 1 off a C, might be worth a remark

ReputationRep:
    Threshold for a B is 81 raw marks, your 83 is a UMS score - which equates to 73 raw marks... you are 1 off a C, might be worth a remark
    would it make much difference to my overall grade as I got 50 in my speaking??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicole_wilson)
    would it make much difference to my overall grade as I got 50 in my speaking??
    I think that puts you 7 UMS points off a B overall, which means you'd need 5 more marks in the paper out of 110 to get a B... if money isn't too much of an issue then I'd certainly consider it, just bear in mind your grade could go up as well as down

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.