The Student Room Group

C1 Soloman Integration help pls :3

12) The curve C with the equation y=f(x) is such that

dy/dx= k - x^-1/2 , where k is a constant.

Given that C passes through the points (1,-2) and (4,5)

a) Find the value of k.

I used simultaneous equations and got some weird fraction. Don't think it's right because it links to part b

b) Show that the normal to C at the point (1,-2) has the equation x + 2y + 3 = 0

Thank you :blushing:
Reply 1
Also a graphs function question if you're feeling generous :mmm:

3a) Show that the line y=4x + 1 does not intersect with the curve y=x^2 + 5x + 2.

Done that :smug:

b) Fine the value of m such that the line y=mx + 1 meets the curve y= x^2 +5x +2 at exactly one point.

:K:
Original post by Dinaa
12) The curve C with the equation y=f(x) is such that

dy/dx= k - x^-1/2 , where k is a constant.

Given that C passes through the points (1,-2) and (4,5)

a) Find the value of k.

I used simultaneous equations and got some weird fraction. Don't think it's right because it links to part b

b) Show that the normal to C at the point (1,-2) has the equation x + 2y + 3 = 0

Thank you :blushing:

Unparseable latex formula:

y=kx-2\sqrtx+C

substititute the coordinates of the two points and solve simultaneously giving k=3k=3
Reply 3
Original post by brianeverit
Unparseable latex formula:

y=kx-2\sqrtx+C

substititute the coordinates of the two points and solve simultaneously giving k=3k=3

Oh oops, I integrated wrong :blushing:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Dinaa
Also a graphs function question if you're feeling generous :mmm:

3a) Show that the line y=4x + 1 does not intersect with the curve y=x^2 + 5x + 2.

Done that :smug:

b) Fine the value of m such that the line y=mx + 1 meets the curve y= x^2 +5x +2 at exactly one point.

:K:

If y=mx+1y=mx+1 only meets the curve y=x2+5x+2y=x^2+5x+2 at one point then it must be a tangent to the curve hence the simultaneous solution must produce equal roots. Do you know the condition for this to happen ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
If [text]y=mx+1\text{ only merts the cutve y=x^2+5x+2 \text{ at one point then it must be a tangent to the curve }
hence the simultaneous solution must produce equal roots.
Do you know the condition for this to happen ?

Message is kind of funky :colondollar:
Reply 6
If y=mx+1y=mx+1 only meets the curve y=x2+5x+2y=x^2+5x+2 at one point then it must be a tangent to the curve hence the simultaneous solution must produce equal roots. Do you know the condition for this to happen ?

The condition? what no :O:
Original post by Dinaa
The condition? what no :O:

Eliminating y leaves you with a quadratic in x. The condition for equal roots is that the discriminant of this quadratic i.e. b24acb^2-4ac should be zero which should give you an equation in m to solve.,

Quick Reply

Latest