Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    i said 'nylon was lighter but had a much higher water absorbency so when both is wet they'd be around the same weight'
    so when wet, both polymers have 'almost' the same characteristics.

the forth one, polypropene, is too weak and may need to be replaced very often when it snaps due to the relatively lowest tensile strength. Although nylon and polyester is only 5 more, it is still better to have the stronger one because water is only absorbed (water absorbency), not reacted so it doesn't damage the rope but just makes it more dense, so it doesn't need to be water resistant. There is also no need for it to be too light (and isn't much lighter anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatesauce)
    whats it for an A*?
    dunno. probably around 48 or 49

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavinthan)
    you're thick. why'd you do the higer paper if you are gonna give such b-tec answers
    It wasn't just and I've actually done 3 set science already, thank you. I just did it abroad so I'm resitting my exams here. It was also the least stiff which it said it must be flexible and it was also reasonably strong. It also said that it was unaffected by water. Don't patronise me.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Things like petrol and lubricating oil would be a use from fractional distillation so surely that's right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavinthan)
    i said 'nylon was lighter but had a much higher water absorbency so when both is wet they'd be around the same weight'
    so when wet, both polymers have 'almost' the same characteristics.

the forth one, polypropene, is too weak and may need to be replaced very often when it snaps due to the relatively lowest tensile strength. Although nylon and polyester is only 5 more, it is still better to have the stronger one because water is only absorbed (water absorbency), not reacted so it doesn't damage the rope but just makes it more dense, so it doesn't need to be water resistant. There is also no need for it to be too light (and isn't much lighter anyway).
    I thing you're focusing too much on the tensile strength when frankly they are all equally important. You're ignoring 3 catogries of significant difference and fixating on one of little difference as you precieve that its the main one

In addition you're saying that nylon and polyester are the same weight when soaked. You"re forgetting that water absorbance is also a measured feature so lets say they're the same weight, polyester is better as it has a lower water absorbance!

ReputationRep:
    I put fuels and bitumen do I still get marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly233)
    I said fuels and a base for chemicals. I think those answers may have been a bit vague. I didn't know whether to mention specifics.

ReputationRep:
    If its a two mark question you'll get one mark.

Cuz if its asking for general you'll get 1 mark for fuel
    If its asking for specific which I highly doubt, you'll get 1 mark for bitumen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusamS)
    If its a two mark question you'll get one mark.

Cuz if its asking for general you'll get 1 mark for fuel
    If its asking for specific which I highly doubt, you'll get 1 mark for bitumen
    I hope the grade boundaries are low! Some people wrote Fuels and lubricants how many marks would they get?

ReputationRep:
    you'll get the mark for fuel but probably not for bitumen because it was actually a past paper question and I didn't get the marks for writing bitumen so this time I wrote fuel and lubricants.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the grade boundaries are low! Some people wrote Fuels and lubricants how many marks would they get?
    2 marks

ReputationRep:
    if you wanna discuss physics come here yee
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3327315

feel like those annoying people who stand outside shops and advertise their stuff lol

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys get for the tennis ball question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fathiimaaxox)
    What did you guys get for the tennis ball question?
    I'm guessing you mean the maths one, I got 150!

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I got lower than that ? maybe youre right!! do you remember any of the questions ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I got lower than that ? maybe youre right!! do you remember any of the questions ?
    I actually can't even remember the exact details of the question but I do know that a few of my friends also got 150
    I was just wondering what people put down for the question about the rope made from plants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Poison)
    I actually can't even remember the exact details of the question but I do know that a few of my friends also got 150
    I was just wondering what people put down for the question about the rope made from plants?
    I said that in order to use synthetic materials you needed a chemical industry. I think I also added something in about the country having a limited experience with chemicals due to the lack of education.

ReputationRep:
    I said that in order to use synthetic materials you needed a chemical industry. I think I also added something in about the country having a limited experience with chemicals due to the lack of education.
    Ahh alright thanks! I'm sure I mentioned something similar

ReputationRep:
    I put that as well. I also added that ropes made from natural materials/plants are cheaper, its renewable and they are biodegradable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusamS)
    2 marks
    The question asked about what fractions crude oil is used in though

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.