Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaydy3)
    Sorry but I think you're wrong. In the test I thought it was fuels and lubricants but the question says the fractions have MANY uses and fuels and lubricants are probably it with the exception of maybe a few more uses we don't need to know for GCSEs. And remember the molecules that come out of each fraction are not specifically "bitumen" and "kerosene" molecules as similar length chains go into each fraction. Therefore these fractions are used for bitumen, kerosene etc. the uses are in fact bitumen and kerosene etc not fuels and lubricants.
    1:
    "The main fractions include refinery gases, gasoline (petrol), naphtha, kerosene, diesel oil, fuel oil, and a residue that contains bitumen. These fractions are mainly used as fuels, although they do have other uses too." [BBC Bitesize]

2:
    http://www.drbateman.net/gcse2003/gc...l/crudeoil.htm
    read part C4.14: Uses of fractions from crude oil

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one here who got Polypropylene for the C2 6 mark answer? It even says in the revision guide:

"Ropes are made from polypropylene instead of sisal"

It was also the only one with a density that was lower than water and had a negligible water absorbency therefore it was best fit for Dave's boat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joebristow19)
    Am I the only one here who got Polypropylene for the C2 6 mark answer? It even says in the revision guide:

It was also the only one with a density that was lower than water and had a negligible water absorbency therefore it was best fit for Dave's boat
    i wrote that too

ReputationRep:
    I was so annoyed that the six mark question about which rope to use was on nylon fibres as for the past 3 years or so those type of six mark questions have been on polymers of which there are plenty of things you could write about such as the chain lengths and crystalanity etc. Urgh that got me mad!!

ReputationRep:

I also wrote that.

ReputationRep:

I wrote that !! I think the majority did x

ReputationRep:

i used about 3/4 of the lines writing about kevlar and then i looked back and the table and was like "...wait" and so was like "apart from tensile strength polypropylene was superior than the others i would advise dave to use this" whoops haha

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know roughly what the grade boundaries might be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusamS)
    It says uses
    Can you send me the paper too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It says uses
    Can you send me the paper too please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebra249)
    Can you send me the paper too please?
    I don't have it, my chem teacher only let me look at it this morning

ReputationRep:
    Bros solve this ignore what i have circled
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    1:
    "The main fractions include refinery gases, gasoline (petrol), naphtha, kerosene, diesel oil, fuel oil, and a residue that contains bitumen. These fractions are mainly used as fuels, although they do have other uses too." [BBC Bitesize]

2:
    http://www.drbateman.net/gcse2003/gc...l/crudeoil.htm
    read part C4.14: Uses of fractions from crude oil
    So surely saying refinery gas would be correct in this case - as it is both a fraction and use? I seriously hope so :/

ReputationRep:
    I put fuels and lubricants.

Was it too vague ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431786658.976630.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  106.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431786667.188474.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  50.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

In our test the question was on the uses of different FRACTIONS in crude oil, so any use in a fraction is acceptable, e.g. petrol or lubricating oil. This question is a vague reference to the overall uses of chemicals from crude oil which would be a different question, so unfortunately your point here is invalid.

ReputationRep:
    I was gutted with the last six mark question, tectonic plates and all that was the only stuff i hadn't revised!!! I'm not surprised if i get 0/6 on it

ReputationRep:
    I put that as well. I also added that ropes made from natural materials/plants are cheaper, its renewable and they are biodegradable
    You probably got full marks then

ReputationRep:
    It says uses
    OMG!!!! i put petrol and oil
    is this right???

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

If you put lubricating oil yeah, dunno about oil as may be vague

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.