Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Same here. We have to come in until June 10th, after which we only have like 3 exams anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Poison)
    Just wondering, how many of you guys are on study leave?
    Our school makes us have to come
    If you have an exam you're aloud to have home study but if you don't have an exam on that day then you have to come, until the 22 of June, then after the half term we're only aloud to come for our exams x however I'm not going to school lol I have 2 exams tmrw which I need to review for

ReputationRep:
    I have study leave and I'm procrastinating aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressedByDay)
    I have study leave and I'm procrastinating aha
    i didn't bother going to school i need to revise...2 exams tmrw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kxylah)
    Unlucky , what other exam?

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky , what other exam?
    sociology unit 2
    what options did you pick?

ReputationRep:
    sociology unit 2
    what options did you pick?
    What gcses?

ReputationRep:
    What gcses?
    yeah x

ReputationRep:
    yeah x
    French ,latin, history , triple science, lang/lit , maths.

ReputationRep:
    guys any prediction for chemistry 6 markers

ReputationRep:
    Have a feeling this test is going to be hard...last years test's grade boundaries were pretty high, suggesting that the test was easy...

ReputationRep:
    OCR are like that - it's so annoying. For the 6 markers - the first one is always (normally) interpret a table, what does this mean - and then you just say about hydrocarbon based fuels burning incompletely/completely and what's produced and if there are any effects - pretty straight forward. I doubt it will be the Earth's atmosphere one (I may be proved wrong) but I swear the 2010/2011/2012 was like that - so it seems too soon to do again. For C2, last year there was a bit about nanoparticles in a calculator, and why they were used, but i'm not sure if that was the 6 mark question. We did a past paper recently - no idea which - but it was about fractional distillation, so i'm betting on polymerisation and naming some different polymers and their uses OR changing the properties of a polymer. Then for C3 i'm not sure - again I doubt salt, because there was a 6 mark question on that in 2012 - but electrolysis, the formation of sedimentary rocks, chlorine or a life cycle assessment are strong contenders in my opinion. Eurgh time to crack on with revision, in case I kill myself half way through revision good luck to everyone tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlucy)
    OCR are like that - it's so annoying. For the 6 markers - the first one is always (normally) interpret a table, what does this mean - and then you just say about hydrocarbon based fuels burning incompletely/completely and what's produced and if there are any effects - pretty straight forward. I doubt it will be the Earth's atmosphere one (I may be proved wrong) but I swear the 2010/2011/2012 was like that - so it seems too soon to do again. For C2, last year there was a bit about nanoparticles in a calculator, and why they were used, but i'm not sure if that was the 6 mark question. We did a past paper recently - no idea which - but it was about fractional distillation, so i'm betting on polymerisation and naming some different polymers and their uses OR changing the properties of a polymer. Then for C3 i'm not sure - again I doubt salt, because there was a 6 mark question on that in 2012 - but electrolysis, the formation of sedimentary rocks, chlorine or a life cycle assessment are strong contenders in my opinion. Eurgh time to crack on with revision, in case I kill myself half way through revision good luck to everyone tomorrow!
    Mate what do you write for the table one in terms of incomplete combustion

ReputationRep:
    Mate what do you write for the table one in terms of incomplete combustion
    Well, if you burn hydrocarbons - hydrocarbons contain just hydrogen and carbon - so if there's lots of oxygen...

hydrogen + oxygen = hydrogen oxide (water) --> always the same, it's an oxide - only one oxygen, so incomplete combustion or complete combustion it doesn't change.

Carbon + (when burnt with lots of) oxygen = carbon dioxide

Carbon + (when burnt with little) oxygen = carbon monoxide + soot (carbon particulates) - this is because there's not enough oxygen to react with all the carbon, so you get some CO and then some soot - the soot falls on buildings and makes them look black and nasty, and CO is a poisonous gas, it reduces the amount of haemoglobin (substance that binds with oxygen) the blood can carry, so you get flu-like symptoms and can die. Then regardless of complete or incomplete, as long as the hydrocarbon fuel reaches a high temperature, you get NO which then goes onto react with more oxygen in the atmosphere to make NO2.

I hope that makes some sense - i'm doing this from memory, so I think it's right, but someone may correct me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlucy)
    Well, if you burn hydrocarbons - hydrocarbons contain just hydrogen and carbon - so if there's lots of oxygen...

hydrogen + oxygen = hydrogen oxide (water) --> always the same, it's an oxide - only one oxygen, so incomplete combustion or complete combustion it doesn't change.

Carbon + (when burnt with lots of) oxygen = carbon dioxide

Carbon + (when burnt with little) oxygen = carbon monoxide + soot (carbon particulates) - this is because there's not enough oxygen to react with all the carbon, so you get some CO and then some soot - the soot falls on buildings and makes them look black and nasty, and CO is a poisonous gas, it reduces the amount of haemoglobin (substance that binds with oxygen) the blood can carry, so you get flu-like symptoms and can die. Then regardless of complete or incomplete, as long as the hydrocarbon fuel reaches a high temperature, you get NO which then goes onto react with more oxygen in the atmosphere to make NO2.

I hope that makes some sense - i'm doing this from memory, so I think it's right, but someone may correct me
    Very nice ; thanks :')

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I absolutely hate questions about data, outliers, mean etc. Also, why would a SCIENCE paper include maths, let MATHS deal with maths. :mad::mad:

ReputationRep:
    Sooo the chemistry test is this thursday.. (same day as sociology:mad:)

Who's ready? Any predictions for the 6 markers?
    I think there will a question of sulfur dioxide and the method to remove it from the flue has such as Alkane scrubbing and sea water coolant acting as alkaline

ReputationRep:
    Same

ReputationRep:
    I'm so nervous for chemistry, hopefully it's easier than biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by An-Mi-Ah)
    I know what you mean. I absolutely hate questions about data, outliers, mean etc. Also, why would a SCIENCE paper include maths, let MATHS deal with maths. :mad::mad:
    omg ikr! I can understand some maths such as energy transfer of bonds and mass in reactants/products because thats actually science, however sometimes they just ask stuff like mean/averages.. not really scientific...

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.