Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

I would like some advice with self-studying a-levels. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone,

My plan is to study and sit economics, maths and psychology A-level exams within one year. I want to achieve top grades so that I can study economics at Oxford, Cambridge or LSE- is this attainable as a private candidate?

Under the assumption that I will study ~8 hours a day, 7 days a week is that enough time to achieve A*s for all three? 52(8*7) = 2912. /3 that is ~1000 hours per subject. I will read books about economics before sleep and when I just wake up as well. I understand that most students study over two years, I can't dedicate that amount of time.

Unfortunately there are no access courses for economics near me and the foundation year program I applied for rejected me.

If anyone else has done something similar I would love to hear their story. I am not a gifted, extremely fast learner but I do have very strict self-discipline.

I really am all-in.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    You need to make sure it is still possible, as the A-levels are changing AGAIN in September as AS exams are abolished. Nobody will be sitting any A2 exams until June 2017 so I'd doubt many (if any) exam centre(s) would take you. You *may* be able to take the old syllabus A-levels if you can do it in one year, but that would mean 12-15 exams within the months of May and June next year. Do you think you could handle that?

Studying 7 days a week is way too much, you need at least 1 day off a week, if not more otherwise you'll burn out; especially if you're planning on ~8 hours a day as well.

The only other obvious choice would be to move closer to a suitable Access course or talk to Oxford about studying Economics with the OU as preparation and find out which modules would be acceptable. This is degree level study so you will lose some of your student loan entitlement, but as long as you only take 1 year over the OU study and don't anticipate you'll need your 'gift year' for mitigating circumstances during your degree it will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    A-levels are changing AGAIN in September as AS exams are abolished. Nobody will be sitting any A2 exams until June 2017 so I'd doubt many (if any) exam centre(s) would take you.
    I'm in a similar situation to the OP - (no suitable access courses nearby, and just about to start studying Maths / Further Maths / Computing in a year) - can anyone elaborate on these changes? It is hard work figuring out the best approach to A Levels as a private individual!

I probably won't be on quite as tough a schedule as the OP as I already have a B in Computing and Maths A Levels but I sat them a fairly long time ago and was told that they are out of date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falsar)
    I'm in a similar situation to the OP - (no suitable access courses nearby, and just about to start studying Maths / Further Maths / Computing in a year) - can anyone elaborate on these changes? It is hard work figuring out the best approach to A Levels as a private individual!

I probably won't be on quite as tough a schedule as the OP as I already have a B in Computing and Maths A Levels but I sat them a fairly long time ago and was told that they are out of date.
    It would be best to speak to the exam board in question or look on their website. AS exams are being abolished in favour of a 2 years A-level course.

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.