USA in Iraq after being tricked by Iran? Watch

This discussion is closed.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
This is the story that leads the Guardian today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...224075,00.html

any thoughts?
jammyd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When George W. Bush won the presidency, there was no doubt Iraq would be invaded.
jamlan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
When George W. Bush won the presidency, there was no doubt Iraq would be invaded.
but they had to have a convincing pretence. Weapons of mass distruction was a good one. If they invaded while knowing that they'd never find any of these weapons they'd know that their reputation would be severely damaged and could affect their re-election.
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*cough* passing the buck *cough*
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
of course there was doubt, but it was likely that whoever became president that Iraq would feature heavily in foreign policy plans, due to i) the fact that Clinton had maintained surveillance on Saddam, ii) liberating Iraq from Saddam has been a Senate policy since early-Clinton.
i also fail to see how George Bush, a man who campaigned hard on tax and education, and who indeed started his presidency on these footings, would have entered Iraq under the same premise had 9/11 NOT OCCURED.
Masonne
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
shame on you fellow history student!! you should have had it drilled into you now that nothing is certain in history until it happens.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How wonderful. Now they'll blame the Iraq war on Iran and go and get their oil as well.
zizero
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
of course there was doubt, but it was likely that whoever became president that Iraq would feature heavily in foreign policy plans, due to i) the fact that Clinton had maintained surveillance on Saddam, ii) liberating Iraq from Saddam has been a Senate policy since early-Clinton.
i also fail to see how George Bush, a man who campaigned hard on tax and education, and who indeed started his presidency on these footings, would have entered Iraq under the same premise had 9/11 NOT OCCURED.
Forgive the pedantry, but I think the Senate only adopted the policy you're referring to in 1998. That would make it late-Clinton...
zizero
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Exactly. Pre-9/11, Bush had a fairly isolationist agenda. For instance, he wanted to stay out of the ME Peace Process. He did not want to commit US troops to conflicts that did not directly affect the US. So, without 9/11, the Iraq war would have been highly unlikely.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by zizero)
Forgive the pedantry, but I think the Senate only adopted the policy you're referring to in 1998. That would make it late-Clinton...
i should have said early-second term Clinton..
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I also fail to see how I thought you weren't prone to naivety.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (122)
27.6%
1 (68)
15.38%
2 (67)
15.16%
3 (71)
16.06%
4 (33)
7.47%
5 (30)
6.79%