Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am doing FP1 and I understand all of it besides Loci. Question 2 from the paper can be used as an example. I know that the |a| is 5 because [(3^2+4^2)^1/2] but i don't understand arg(a) and any of 2(ii).
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 57758-question-paper-unit-4725-further-pure-mathematics-1.pdf (31.4 KB, 89 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhamzan786)
    So I am doing FP1 and I understand all of it besides Loci. Question 2 from the paper can be used as an example. I know that the |a| is 5 because [(3^2+4^2)^1/2] but i don't understand arg(a) and any of 2(ii).
    The argument of a complex number is the angle in radians from the positive real axis to the point on the Argand diagram. It's anti-clockwise positive.

Now a here is in the first quadrant so \arg(a) = \tan^{-1} \frac{4}{3} = 0.927^c to three decimal places.

|z-a|=|a| is a circle with centre a and radius |a| which you said you found. It means "all the complex numbers z on the Argand diagram that are exactly |a| away from a."

\arg(z-3) = \arg(a) is a half-line. It means roughly "all the complex numbers z on the Argand diagram that, when you minus 3 from them, have the same argument as a does."

I've written about it in more detail on my website here: https://www.furthermathstutor.co.uk/...x-numbers.html

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.