Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can some please help me with this question. I've been working on it for ages but just don't understand!

I need to differentiate the following equation:

Y = L + M e^(-xt)

L = 40
    M = 10
    X = 3
    t = 4
    Is it something like dy/dx = 0 + -XMe^(-xt) or am I completely wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYY)
    Hi,

Can some please help me with this question. I've been working on it for ages but just don't understand!

I need to differentiate the following equation:

Y = L + M e^(-xt)

L = 40
    M = 10
    X = 3
    t = 4
    Is it something like dy/dx = 0 + -XMe^(-xt) or am I completely wrong?
    Are there any variables in this equation? If so, which are they?

If it's x, then it'd be dy/dx = -tMe-xt.

If it's t, then it'd be dy/dt = -xMe-xt.

I assume you'd then put your values in to find the value of dy/dx or dy/dt at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Are there any variables in this equation? If so, which are they?

If it's x, then it'd be dy/dx = -tMe-xt.

If it's t, then it'd be dy/dt = -xMe-xt.

I assume you'd then put your values in to find the value of dy/dx or dy/dt at this point.
    Thanks for your reply. The variables are t. So I'm right but just need to put in dy/dt, not dy/dx?

Is the L equal to 0 when differentiated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYY)
    Thanks for your reply. The variables are t. So I'm right but just need to put in dy/dt, not dy/dx?

Is the L equal to 0 when differentiated?
    Yeah, if t is a variable and x isn't then you'd do dy/dt. That gives dy/dt = -xMe-xt and you can put your values in from there.

As L is a constant then yes it goes to 0 (you can think of that by thinking of the gradient of a line y = 3, the gradient would be 0)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Yeah, if t is a variable and x isn't then you'd do dy/dt. That gives dy/dt = -xMe-xt and you can put your values in from there.

As L is a constant then yes it goes to 0 (you can think of that by thinking of the gradient of a line y = 3, the gradient would be 0)
    Thanks for your help

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.