Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can some please help me with this question. I've been working on it for ages but just don't understand!

I need to differentiate the following equation:

Y = L + M e^(-xt)

L = 40
    M = 10
    X = 3
    t = 4
    Is it something like dy/dx = 0 + -XMe^(-xt) or am I completely wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYY)
    Hi,

Can some please help me with this question. I've been working on it for ages but just don't understand!

I need to differentiate the following equation:

Y = L + M e^(-xt)

L = 40
    M = 10
    X = 3
    t = 4
    Is it something like dy/dx = 0 + -XMe^(-xt) or am I completely wrong?
    Are there any variables in this equation? If so, which are they?

If it's x, then it'd be dy/dx = -tMe-xt.

If it's t, then it'd be dy/dt = -xMe-xt.

I assume you'd then put your values in to find the value of dy/dx or dy/dt at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Are there any variables in this equation? If so, which are they?

If it's x, then it'd be dy/dx = -tMe-xt.

If it's t, then it'd be dy/dt = -xMe-xt.

I assume you'd then put your values in to find the value of dy/dx or dy/dt at this point.
    Thanks for your reply. The variables are t. So I'm right but just need to put in dy/dt, not dy/dx?

Is the L equal to 0 when differentiated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYY)
    Thanks for your reply. The variables are t. So I'm right but just need to put in dy/dt, not dy/dx?

Is the L equal to 0 when differentiated?
    Yeah, if t is a variable and x isn't then you'd do dy/dt. That gives dy/dt = -xMe-xt and you can put your values in from there.

As L is a constant then yes it goes to 0 (you can think of that by thinking of the gradient of a line y = 3, the gradient would be 0)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Yeah, if t is a variable and x isn't then you'd do dy/dt. That gives dy/dt = -xMe-xt and you can put your values in from there.

As L is a constant then yes it goes to 0 (you can think of that by thinking of the gradient of a line y = 3, the gradient would be 0)
    Thanks for your help

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.