The Student Room Group

OCR G542 Psychology Monday 18th May *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Yo people, I am resitting G542 and I have 'attempted' to predict the Questions as last year's Prediction was spot on.

FOR SECTION B- The only method,issue or debate that has NOT come up is FIELD experiments

Core Studies considered field exps: PILIAVIN, ROSENHAN, GRIFFITHS?

HOWEVER many including myself believe there is a strong likelihood that Samuel and Bryant may come up
but that is a Lab experiment. Any ideas as to what you guys think?

FOR SECTION C- I STRONGLY recommend you focus on Psychodynamic, Developmental and Individual Differences
as I believe one of these three will defo come up. You may disagree but that's your choice.

I am going to attach three files which I hope helps: 1) A Section B Prediction Sheet
2) A Section C 'Booklet' explaining how to answer questions following the Change in Format
3) Model Answers for Section C Developmental Approach using the new format Questions.

P.S- For the prediction sheet I wrote lab for part d). change it to natural setting/natural environment something along those lines.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by khalidy95
Yo people, I am resitting G542 and I have 'attempted' to predict the Questions as last year's Prediction was spot on.

FOR SECTION B- The only method,issue or debate that has NOT come up is FIELD experiments

HOWEVER many including myself believe there is a strong likelihood that Samuel and Bryant may come up

FOR SECTION C- I STRONGLY recommend you focus on Psychodynamic, Developmental and Individual Differences
as I believe one of these three will defo come up. You may disagree but that's your choice.

I am going to attach three files which I hope helps: 1) A Section B Prediction Sheet
2) A Section C 'Booklet' explaining how to answer questions following the Change in Format
3) Model Answers for Section C Developmental Approach using the new format Questions.

P.S- For the prediction sheet I wrote lab for part d). change it to natural setting/natural environment something along those lines.

You're legit my fave person <3
Reply 3
Thanks for the help, any other predictions???? Or ones that you do not think will come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would they not ask discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the... approach using examples from any core studies that take this approach anymore for the 12 Marker in section C.
Original post by exam_hater
Would they not ask discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the... approach using examples from any core studies that take this approach anymore for the 12 Marker in section C.

Last year it was similarities and differences of lab experiments in the cognitive approach rather than studies in the cognitive approach. On the 12 marker, it was strengths and weaknesses of lab experiments.

Also, if anyone wants to message me about section A questions like I posted in the other thread. Basically just want to ask questions to eachother about the core studies. Just think it might be beneficial (as nobody at home seems to have much interest).
(edited 8 years ago)
Did ecological validity come up?

SB, Milgram, Bandura, Griffiths - one of these I think will definitely come up

I'm resitting G542 I think that you may be right for Section B. But I also considered:
- Milgram
- Sperry
- Baron-Cohen
- Freud (This one might be a stretch)
For Section C I think we might get either:
-Psychodynamic
-Developmental
-Physiological
(Individual differences have come up quite a bit)
Reply 8
Thanks a lot for the information above just want to ask wen will u be attaching the files as te exam is very soon x
Guys, when describing the procedure of Reicher & Halsam, when do you say the IVs were manipulated?!?! My textbook has the planned interventions (permeability Day 3, legitimacy Day 6, cognitive alternatives Day 7), but I assume you don't put this as the actual study changed these, but what should I say? This study's website said the new prisoner came on Day 5 (http://www.bbcprisonstudy.org/bbc-prison-study.php?p=40) but the June 2011 mark scheme says Day 4 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/62152-mark-scheme-unit-g542-the-core-studies-june.pdf). I'm so confused :confused::confused::confused:
Original post by Kamara7
Guys, when describing the procedure of Reicher & Halsam, when do you say the IVs were manipulated?!?! My textbook has the planned interventions (permeability Day 3, legitimacy Day 6, cognitive alternatives Day 7), but I assume you don't put this as the actual study changed these, but what should I say? This study's website said the new prisoner came on Day 5 (http://www.bbcprisonstudy.org/bbc-prison-study.php?p=40) but the June 2011 mark scheme says Day 4 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/62152-mark-scheme-unit-g542-the-core-studies-june.pdf). I'm so confused :confused::confused::confused:

Ask your teacher. Personally, I'd go with what the mark scheme says, as they'd follow that.

Alright, a few questions (I'm re-sitting too):

Are you sure the change in Section C format will stay? Why won't it reverse to what it was?

What do you think Section A will be like?

Likelihood of Milgram coming up on Section B? (it hasn't came up for 3 years)
Ok so I got a bit bored so I came up with a sort of mock for Section A. They aren't questions that have come up before so are just generally how much you know about the participants, background, aim, research method, iv, dv, procedure, results, conclusions of the studies. Total of 4 marks.

Don't post answers please.
Developmental
1) State two of the hypotheses of the study by Bandura, Ross and Ross (4 marks).
2) a) Explain why the Fixed Array condition was used in the study by Samuel & Bryant (2 marks)
b) Explain what happened in this Fixed Array condition. (2 marks)
3) From Freud's study, describe 'The Children fantasy'. (4 marks).

This took a bit too long so I'm going to continue with Individual Differences tomorrow.
(edited 8 years ago)
I need help with like.. Everything. Any chance someone can private message me to discuss some of the possible questions and answers?
Reply 14
Hey guys do you think it would be okay to risk not learning freud properly ? Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Craig1998
Ok so I got a bit bored so I came up with a sort of mock for Section A. They aren't questions that have come up before so are just generally how much you know about the participants, background, aim, research method, iv, dv, procedure, results, conclusions of the studies. Total of 4 marks.

Don't post answers please.
Developmental
1) State two of the hypotheses of the study by Bandura, Ross and Ross (4 marks).
2) a) Explain why the Fixed Array condition was used in the study by Samuel & Bryant (2 marks)
b) Explain what happened in this Fixed Array condition. (2 marks)
3) From Freud's study, describe 'The Children fantasy'. (4 marks).

This took a bit too long so I'm going to continue with Individual Differences tomorrow.

whats the childrens fantasy in freud??
Original post by trachelm

In our booklets, the final fantasy was one in which Hans told his father he pretended to have children and was their mother. After a while, Hans claimed that he was now their father and Hans' mother was the children's mother. Combined with this is that Hans' father was the childrens grandfather, and that Hans' grandmother remained as their grandmother.

Freud said that this meant that Hans had identified with his father.

http://prntscr.com/75u4v5, it does get a mention in the Jan 2013 mark scheme for the results of the study. Holah doesn't mention it though, so it may not be needed for the exam.
Since on the G541 paper they repeated last year (as in no correlations) what are the chances of them repeating one of the approaches for Section C? Section C is what I'm most worried about, due to not really being taught it.
Reply 18
Original post by trachelm

They meant parenting fantasy
Original post by sleepingwsirens
Since on the G541 paper they repeated last year (as in no correlations) what are the chances of them repeating one of the approaches for Section C? Section C is what I'm most worried about, due to not really being taught it.

I'm gonna take a chance and say it's unlikely. For the G541 paper, they have actually done that before and repeated the same 3 methods. They've never done this for the G542 paper, probably because it would be unfair due to the amount of content needed for the exam.

However, it still could happen, especially as the Behaviourist approach hasn't come up that many times.
For the 4 questions on Section C:
1) For this, it's just about remembering a sentence or two about the approach. If you remember keywords (e.g. Behaviourist as blank slate) then you should be alright to pick up at least 1 mark.
2) Look at the behaviour and consider what study falls into that behaviour (e.g. conservation is Samuel and Bryant), then outline a smaller assumption of the approach, talk about the behaviour in question (and link to approach) then link it to the study. Make sure for studies like Freud which fit into Psychodynamic and Developmental that you know which one is being asked for.
3) Just compare the studies in your head and look for things like: longitudinal/snapshot, ecological validity, quantitatie/qualitative data/both. Then answer in P.E.E. form.
4) Make sure you know generic strengths and weaknesses for things like practical applications and reductionist which appear in most of the mark schemes. Other than those I'm not sure but a couple appear on more than one so try and remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending