Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR G542 Psychology Monday 18th May *OFFICIAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmax6x)
    For section c similarity and difference I said
    similarity:
    Sperry and maguire were both quasi experiments
    differnce:
    Dement and kleitman used scientific objective measures such as EEG whereas sperry used observation which was more subjective???
    You used different studies, that's 0 marks, Didn't your teacher tell you that you must select the same 2 studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rstlss)
    You used different studies, that's 0 marks, Didn't your teacher tell you that you must select the same 2 studies.
    No we got told that we must include all 3 studies...

In fact, the mark scheme says you MUST refer to all 3 studies

ReputationRep:

That's true, But I have 2 psychology teachers and they told me the same things, also if you look on the mark scheme it uses examples from the same study, I'll believe myself because one of my teachers also marks for OCR & she told us this soo many times because people in our class kept doing it

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone choose Piliavin for section B? If so what did u write for the results? (And other questions if you remember)
    I'm trying to work out if I put enough information in for 8 marks on the results

ReputationRep:
    That's true, But I have 2 psychology teachers and they told me the same things, also if you look on the mark scheme it uses examples from the same study, I'll believe myself because one of my teachers also marks for OCR & she told us this soo many times because people in our class kept doing it
    The mark schemes actually say "this question requires candidates to refer to the 3 individual differences approach core studies" and also some mark schemes use the same examples whereas others use different ones
    Also, 3 marks are awarded for each similarity and different as long as they are relevant and contextualised, so it wouldn't be 0..

ReputationRep:

The question said give a similarity and difference in the way data was gathered, using examples from any two studies that take the physiological approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurleysWife)
    The question said give a similarity and difference in the way data was gathered, using examples from any two studies that take the physiological approach.
    Did it say from any two? I'm pretty sure it said from any core studies from the physiological approach

ReputationRep:
    Did it say from any two? I'm pretty sure it said from any core studies from the physiological approach
    But if you're comparing the similarities and differences of something, you generally use the same two things otherwise it doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    But if you're comparing the similarities and differences of something, you generally use the same two things otherwise it doesn't make sense.
    Hm but it was just similarities and differences within the approach... I don't know, I'm sure I wouldn't get 0 though? Surely I could still get 3 marks (providing it's right)

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher may have told you that but I was also told by my teacher who regularly visits OCR examiners that you can use all 3 studies in your answer it doesn't matter as long as you answer the question - the mark scheme is just a small part - examiners also look at journals and award marks wherever possible. Obviously if you only use two studies that's fine but you can definitely use all three

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethCx)
    Your teacher may have told you that but I was also told by my teacher who regularly visits OCR examiners that you can use all 3 studies in your answer it doesn't matter as long as you answer the question - the mark scheme is just a small part - examiners also look at journals and award marks wherever possible. Obviously if you only use two studies that's fine but you can definitely use all three
    By the way what did you put for the 12 marker?

ReputationRep:
    By the way what did you put for the 12 marker?
    I did psychodynamic and did
    Strength: Informed consent - related it back to the perspective and defined the term then related this to thigpen and cleckley and described this using fine details then said why informed consent was a strength.
    Strength: deception: related it back to persepctive and defined deception stating why it isnt present in psychodynamic studies...used Freud and Thigpen for examples with fine details then said why this was a strength.
    Weakness: Distress - defined distress etc and then related it to Thigpen using fine details e.g. repressed memory - kissing dead grandmother, iatrogenic possibilities and the method of intergration - killing off two alters unknowing as to which alter will survive then said why distress was a weakness.
    Weakness: debrief - defined the debrief process etc and then related it to thigpen and stated that because she was not debriefed she did not fully understand that her condition may return or may never have been fully treated - proven in the 21 faces of Eve - weaker point I know!!! then stated why the lack of debrief was a weakness

ReputationRep:
    I'm so relieved so many people did something similar for the 12 marker. I'm going to ask my teacher about what we should've put today just to see if I've got the marks. Will get back for midday

ReputationRep:
    It's really weird that AS psychology is done for the school year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sink96)
    Did anyone choose Piliavin for section B? If so what did u write for the results? (And other questions if you remember)
    I'm trying to work out if I put enough information in for 8 marks on the results
    I did!! I used just used all the results from the study mainly. I used how 90% of first helpers were male but 60% of the train were male. 19 out of 38 trials for the drunk victim received spontaneous help and 62 out of 65 trial for the cane victim received spontaneous help. Then I put about how 100% for the cane victim received help overall and 81% for the drunk victim. Then I mentioned how there was evidence that same race people seemed to help each other more. Then how on average it took 109 seconds for the drunk to receive help but it was significantly less time for the cane. And then I put how there was no evidence for diffusion of responsibility. And then I also added the qualitative data which was women's verbalisations which I quoted and then their behaviour on the train. And that was about it. Hope this helps. (I wrote better than this in the exam, I'm just briefly writing it out, sorry!)

If there's any other questions you want, I could tell you my answers but knowing me I'm usually wrong

ReputationRep:
    Ok my teacher said that the best way to answer that question was to look at features of studies in the approach/perspective then relate to ethical issues. E.g. A case study was used which means that the participants gave their informed consent to take part.
    I asked her about the confidentiality point (that both the participants used other names to keep their identity secret) and she said that was fine.

I think the mark scheme will generally be about specific ethical issues and how they were followed/not followed in the studies of that approach/perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    Looks like I'm dropping a couple marks for that question then...

Damnit Piliavin!
    I did the june 2013 past paper just before the exam and the exact same question was on that and on that mark scheme you just had to describe the drunk and caned condition so I think you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I did the 12 mark Psychodynamic questions, and wrote:

Weakness - Consent may not be considered to be fully gathered as although Little Hans' parents consented on his behalf, he was too young to give informed consent himself. Also, Eve in Thigpen and Cleckley's study could be considered, as displayed in Eve Black's EEG results and inkblot tests which showed "hysterical tendencies", to not be of sane enough mind to give consent.

Strength - The large quantities of quantitative data and the fact that both studies were longitudinal allowed Thigpen and Cleckley and Freud to learn about unique disorders which are rarely investigated, which could help the diagnosis of MPD in the future. People also more aware and able to understand psychosexual development, and the Oedipus Complex so that parents and adults in general can identify potential signs of the complex, and help to understand such phobias in children in the future.

Weakness - Despite "Eve" being a pseudoname which initially protected the identity of Chris Sizemore, once her true identity was revealed, the study could have caused her lasting harm as the diagnosis of MPD tarnished her with a label which is hard to get rid of and excludes her from the social "norm". Freud's claims that Little Hans' behaviour was a result of him having sexual desires for his same sex parent also made him different to everybody else, and could have been embarrassing for him when growing up.

... And suddenly I forgot my other strength that I wrote in the exam. Hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to point out that on the mark schemes eg. go to the 2013 mark scheme - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/176288-...udies-june.pdf - go to page 38 and look. It specifically says that you must use all 3 studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethCx)
    I did psychodynamic and did
    Strength: Informed consent - related it back to the perspective and defined the term then related this to thigpen and cleckley and described this using fine details then said why informed consent was a strength.
    Strength: deception: related it back to persepctive and defined deception stating why it isnt present in psychodynamic studies...used Freud and Thigpen for examples with fine details then said why this was a strength.
    Weakness: Distress - defined distress etc and then related it to Thigpen using fine details e.g. repressed memory - kissing dead grandmother, iatrogenic possibilities and the method of intergration - killing off two alters unknowing as to which alter will survive then said why distress was a weakness.
    Weakness: debrief - defined the debrief process etc and then related it to thigpen and stated that because she was not debriefed she did not fully understand that her condition may return or may never have been fully treated - proven in the 21 faces of Eve - weaker point I know!!! then stated why the lack of debrief was a weakness
    For Psychodynamic did you just use Thigpen and Cleckly?

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.