The Student Room Group

AQA Additional Science - B2 - How did everyone find the exam?

How did everyone find the exam? It was nothing like the past papers! The 6 marker question about the ivy leaf really put me off!
Reply 1
I found the paper really easy other than the one about glucose in plants
Reply 2
Original post by Clee12
I found the paper really easy other than the one about glucose in plants

Like how they use glucose?:confused:
Original post by lw06zzk2
How did everyone find the exam? It was nothing like the past papers! The 6 marker question about the ivy leaf really put me off!

The ivy leaf question was so unnecessary :mad::mad: I had no idea what to write
Reply 4
I think the ivy leaf question was just transects with a ruler instead of a quadrat? Plants and glucose: Fats and oils for storage and growth, starch for storage, cellulose for cell walls and sucrose for fruit (all I could think of).
Original post by OwlShock
I think the ivy leaf question was just transects with a ruler instead of a quadrat? Plants and glucose: Fats and oils for storage and growth, starch for storage, cellulose for cell walls and sucrose for fruit (all I could think of).

The ruler was to measure the size of the leaf and the measuring tape to measure out a fixed distance away from the light meter or Shady/Sunny area
And Stored as starch , Turned into seed via storing the fatty oils , Coverted into cellulose , To covert nitrat ions into amino acids to make protein
Original post by GCSEs-2015
The ruler was to measure the size of the leaf and the measuring tape to measure out a fixed distance away from the light meter or Shady/Sunny area
And Stored as starch , Turned into seed via storing the fatty oils , Coverted into cellulose , To covert nitrat ions into amino acids to make protein

for the six marker how would you ensure that the results are valid?
I just said to repeat it with anotherr transect line and take a mean but i dont think its right, cos now i think its more likely to be smaller intervals
Reply 7
when will the mark scheme be available
B2

1)Glycerol
-pH decreased due to fatty acids being produced.
-The graph for dialysis of UREA UREA UREA is curved because of diffusion
-You can round the ratio one to 1:3, because if you imagine the percentages from the genetic diagram its 25% and 75%
-Homo, Homo, Hetero
-The question on the ancient bird was a weird way but was focused around specification. The 4 points can be found in the specification.
-The 6 mark question in B2 was focused around: Creating a transect, recording light intensity and the average area every X meters. And lastly to make it valid, you have to repeat the experiment on another day/location? And keep variables? (Not sure)
-Robber was B
-The magnification was 400. Due to different units!
-Mitochondria is used to respire to release energy
-energy for photosynthesis? light energy from the sun absorbed into chloroplasts?
-stomach muscle is used for contraction and is used to churn food and gastric juices together

B3

-Fusarium is a fungus.
- The gas in the fermentater was Oxygen, and the liquid was Sugar Syrup.
- it can be produced faster and is more sustainable (??)
-The increase in waste question was about an increased population and increased quality of life
-The way oxygen enters the blood is a mix of mentioning heamoglobin and diffusion! Not one and not the other!
-4 uses of glucose for plants! This one, **** this one! So on the specification it only mentions 3: Cellulose, produce proteins, produce fat or oil for storage. So that means the last one could be anything, some guesses: Produce seeds, respiration (wrong because of question title), storage as insoluble starch (Might be part of fats and oils, if not, its the most likely)
-Fish one: You had to mention only 1 method (eg. thin diffusion pathway, large surface area, possible good blood supply) and then say it increases diffusion (It never mentions diffusion in the questions, its an annoying question where you state the obvious) WHICH allows the fish to absorb oxygen faster!
-Heart was muscular tissue.
-In the circulatory system they TRANSPORT: Urea and C02 (You cannot mention permanent residents of blood, that's next question)
-In blood, you can mention: Soluble products of digestion and platelets.
The percentage for waste was 41.5%, the question related to it just required a ton of stats and general patterns? (I think)
-The balloon at the bottom of the glass (To represent the lungs) was the diaphragm.
-The second part to the question above, when the balloon is pulled down. The volume inside the glass increases so the pressure decreases. This then draws air into the balloons due to the pressure difference.
-Controlling Body temperature - thermoregulatory system in the brain detects change in temperature of blood.
-how urine is made - filteration, reabsorption of glucose by active transport, absorption of mineral ions and water, urea and water produces urine
-rejection - antigens don't recognise the cell and cause rejection
-prevention - insulin shots / keep track of exercise
-6 marker - cow tissue valve/heart valve
Original post by lw06zzk2
Like how they use glucose?:confused:

making cell wall
making proteins
storage as insoluble starch
storage as fats and oils
Original post by unhealthynomad
B2

1)Glycerol
-pH decreased due to fatty acids being produced.
-The graph for dialysis of UREA UREA UREA is curved because of diffusion
-You can round the ratio one to 1:3, because if you imagine the percentages from the genetic diagram its 25% and 75%
-Homo, Homo, Hetero
-The question on the ancient bird was a weird way but was focused around specification. The 4 points can be found in the specification.
-The 6 mark question in B2 was focused around: Creating a transect, recording light intensity and the average area every X meters. And lastly to make it valid, you have to repeat the experiment on another day/location? And keep variables? (Not sure)
-Robber was B
-The magnification was 400. Due to different units!
-Mitochondria is used to respire to release energy
-energy for photosynthesis? light energy from the sun absorbed into chloroplasts?
-stomach muscle is used for contraction and is used to churn food and gastric juices together

B3

-Fusarium is a fungus.
- The gas in the fermentater was Oxygen, and the liquid was Sugar Syrup.
- it can be produced faster and is more sustainable (??)
-The increase in waste question was about an increased population and increased quality of life
-The way oxygen enters the blood is a mix of mentioning heamoglobin and diffusion! Not one and not the other!
-4 uses of glucose for plants! This one, **** this one! So on the specification it only mentions 3: Cellulose, produce proteins, produce fat or oil for storage. So that means the last one could be anything, some guesses: Produce seeds, respiration (wrong because of question title), storage as insoluble starch (Might be part of fats and oils, if not, its the most likely)
-Fish one: You had to mention only 1 method (eg. thin diffusion pathway, large surface area, possible good blood supply) and then say it increases diffusion (It never mentions diffusion in the questions, its an annoying question where you state the obvious) WHICH allows the fish to absorb oxygen faster!
-Heart was muscular tissue.
-In the circulatory system they TRANSPORT: Urea and C02 (You cannot mention permanent residents of blood, that's next question)
-In blood, you can mention: Soluble products of digestion and platelets.
The percentage for waste was 41.5%, the question related to it just required a ton of stats and general patterns? (I think)
-The balloon at the bottom of the glass (To represent the lungs) was the diaphragm.
-The second part to the question above, when the balloon is pulled down. The volume inside the glass increases so the pressure decreases. This then draws air into the balloons due to the pressure difference.
-Controlling Body temperature - thermoregulatory system in the brain detects change in temperature of blood.
-how urine is made - filteration, reabsorption of glucose by active transport, absorption of mineral ions and water, urea and water produces urine
-rejection - antigens don't recognise the cell and cause rejection
-prevention - insulin shots / keep track of exercise
-6 marker - cow tissue valve/heart valve

WAIT WTF???
THere was a question on the lungs with a balloon? I dont remember doing this? Did i miss out a whole question?

Can someone please explain???/??/
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Im dying here
Reply 11
do you have excess to the paper
I think they're talking about B3 :h:
Original post by joyalrj22
WAIT WTF???
THere was a question on the lungs with a balloon? I dont remember doing this? Did i miss out a whole question?

Can someone please explain???/??/
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Im dying here

was the lung question with the balloons about biogas?
cos if it was about breathing and ventilation then im f**ked because I must have missed it out
Original post by thepurplerain
I think they're talking about B3 :h:

oh yeah sorry forgot the thread was on b2
oh yeah sorry forgot the thread was on b2

BUT if anyone did the b3 paper can they please help me!!!!!!
Reply 16
was the lung question with the balloons about biogas?
cos if it was about breathing and ventilation then im f**ked because I must have missed it out

It was about ventilation. The question stated that the balloon model was used to represent the breathing system. Not to worry though, it was only worth a few marks I think!
Original post by florcrst
It was about ventilation. The question stated that the balloon model was used to represent the breathing system. Not to worry though, it was only worth a few marks I think!

For AQA B3 there wasn't any balloon lung question
Reply 18
Grade boundaries ?????
i got an A* in that exam... That was soooo easy

Quick Reply

Latest