The Student Room Group

Should benefits be given as food vouchers instead of cash?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Food banks are a way for the govt to deny people their rights while appearing to help them. Charity by definition is not a right and carries no guarantees and is dependent on the generosity of others.
Original post by Alba2013
Absolutely not. You do not have the right to decide what people should spend the cash they are entitled to on.

But the government kinda does. It had the right to decide who is entitled to funds, and government decides where its money goes, so it would follow that they can also choose the form in which the funds are allocated.

I agree that there are limitations to this system, but I'm not necessarily against the government having some flexibility on how it provides its own services if it feels those services are prone to abuse and misuse.
Original post by Dandaman1
But the government kinda does. It had the right to decide who is entitled to funds, and government decides where its money goes, so it would follow that they can also choose the form in which the funds are allocated.

I agree that there are limitations to this system, but I'm not necessarily against the government having some flexibility on how it provides its own services if it feels those services are prone to abuse and misuse.

Doesn't matter anyway, Alec Shelbrooke already proposed this scheme and it was withdrawn because it costs too much and serves no purpose other than demoralise the poor and disabled.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/welfarecashcard.html
Reply 43
I know someone who went on holiday to New York, claims carers allowance, DLA,JSA, has 2Iwatch's , iPhone X, 3 iPads Sky tv, internet etc etc
And you created a new account plus bumped a three year old thread to tell us that?
Then they would need to get a job. I can’t believe how many people are ignorant to the fact that so many of us work full time only to be worse off than people who have never worked a day in their lives , smoke cigarettes drink alcohol when they please and go on luxury holidays, these are things that some full time workers would struggle to afford. The system is a big failure and there are too many perfectly able citizens who have the audacity to take take take and give absolutely nothing back, this is never going to chance and I suspect it will only get worse but I cannot for the life of me figure out how our society went from working extremely hard long days just to make ends meat, the bare minimum to doing absolutely nothing but claim off other people’s hard work and large tax bills, they get to eat as they please and live as they please completely free of charge and Britain wonder why obesity is at a high! Not to mention the example these “scroungers” are giving to our youth , before long there will be more people on benefits than people who work full time. It is teaching our children that it’s fine if you fail to get some kind of employment because your probably going to be a lot better off by sitting back and doing absolutely nothing to receive a weekly income on top of housing benefit, council tax and every other benefit our government offers to all our failures , completely ******** in the face of hard working folk who literally would break their back in order to put food on the table! The message this gives is disgusting. It is a horrible fact that these benefit scroungers are often recognisable and very open and out spoken about their easy income which consists of no work what so ever! Anyone who is able to work and chooses not to is a terrible awful human being who has an upside down contribution to the world!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending