Turn on thread page Beta

Why are the Scots so left-wing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Rural, somewhat religious, not very cosmopolitan and metropolitan (barring Glasgow), lots of landowners. Why are they so left-wing?

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Rural, somewhat religious, not very cosmopolitan and metropolitan (barring Glasgow), lots of landowners. Why are they so left-wing?
    Marget Thatcher's De-Industrialisation of the Central Belt. Plays a significant part of the answer. There aren't many large landowners in Scotland as fewer than 500 people own over half of Scotland's land.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...nd-land-rights

You should look up the land reform Bill passing through Holyrood at the moment, I can also recommend a good read 'The poor had no Lawers' by Andy Wightman (explains Land Ownership in Scotland and is my Summer read. Ha).

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldn't they?

ReputationRep:
    On the religious side. Scotland is mainly non-conformist Protestant and not Anglican. The non-conformists are more Liberal/Whig/Puritan than the Anglicans. Scotland in this regard has always been to the left of England and Ireland. On the whole Scotland isn't left-wing, it is just different from London and the Home Counties. Scotland is more like Northern England. Just Scotland has its own Parliament and referendum rights, which the North of England doesn't have.

ReputationRep:
    No, very few landowners. Scotland has the most concentrated land ownership in the world or something of the sort, all those lairds with grouse moors who ought to be taxed down to the clothes on their back.

Scottish people aren't really that left-wing, not more so than the other former industrial areas. They just hate the Tories for deindustrialisation, the difference is they have a national identity that can rally opinion among those disaffected by Labour inertia.

In England, there is a similar distinct cultural identity on Merseyside and in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire that at least for the foreseeable future keeps people voting Labour.

Devolution really can't hurt the nationalism side and therefore the strength of the left. I think if there had by some miracle been devolution to Yorkshire in 2004 we might even be seeing some mild success for Yorkshire First along the lines of Plaid Cymru.

William Walker has a point about the religion aspect which is probably why Wales hasn't gone the same way as Scotland, not just with the SNP but also with the Liberals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    No, very few landowners. Scotland has the most concentrated land ownership in the world or something of the sort, all those lairds with grouse moors who ought to be taxed down to the clothes on their back.

Scottish people aren't really that left-wing, not more so than the other former industrial areas. They just hate the Tories for deindustrialisation, the difference is they have a national identity that can rally opinion among those disaffected by Labour inertia.

In England, there is a similar distinct cultural identity on Merseyside and in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire that at least for the foreseeable future keeps people voting Labour.

Devolution really can't hurt the nationalism side and therefore the strength of the left. I think if there had by some miracle been devolution to Yorkshire in 2004 we might even be seeing some mild success for Yorkshire First along the lines of Plaid Cymru.

William Walker has a point about the religion aspect which is probably why Wales hasn't gone the same way as Scotland, not just with the SNP but also with the Liberals.
    Well the Loyalists in Ulster are the same religion as Scotland was. So I believe the reason beyond economics why Scotland is voting nationalist is because they are Atheist or non-believers for the most part. Rather than non-conformist Protestants. This is also why many people in Scotland support the EU because they see it is anti-Protestant and pro-Atheist as it is. The EU really is terrible for someone like me who is a High Tory.

Wales if different because it couldn't survive as an independent state, its economy would be terrible. If Wales had a viable economy it would also be seeking to leave.

ReputationRep:
    Google is your friend Lady Comstock, but so am I, so I'll enlighten you.

Urban population in Scotland = 81.6%
    Urban population in England and Wales = 81.5%

'No religion' population in Scotland (from census) = 36.7%
    'No religion' population in England = 24.7%

Cosmopolitan and metropolitan are subjective terms so they're difficult to define. I suspect you mean Scotland is less ethnically diverse and less urban than rUK. The urban point has been dismissed but Scotland is very clearly less ethically diverse than England.

The landowners point has been dealt with.

It could be an interesting question and I might come back to it later but please try not to be so utterly ill-informed in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Scotland has its own Parliament and referendum rights.
    Scotland, doesn't have the legislation to hold a legally binding referendum any time it likes ( although it could hold an informal referundum but it wouldn't be seen as proper in the eyes of the Electoral Comission) . Yes, Scotland did hold a referendum last September but It was only due to the Edinburgh Agreement which temporary devolved the right to hold a referendum that it could take place.

ReputationRep:
    They are independent minded and educated and hence willing to think outside of a shrill, righteous orthodoxy. That is courageous and should be applauded in my view. That said, I don't think they are particularly left wing, they just see through the ills of neo-liberalism. They are only left wing economically by the accepted standards.

ReputationRep:
    They are many left wing Scottish people, but there are also right wing Scottish people... They aren't all left wing.

ReputationRep:
    I think it may also have to do with the protestant/presbyterian influence over catholicism. Wales has some of this too. It emphasises dislike of rank more and puts everyone lower before god. Hence their egalitarian dislike of English class obsession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Well the Loyalists in Ulster are the same religion as Scotland was. So I believe the reason beyond economics why Scotland is voting nationalist is because they are Atheist or non-believers for the most part. Rather than non-conformist Protestants. This is also why many people in Scotland support the EU because they see it is anti-Protestant and pro-Atheist as it is. The EU really is terrible for someone like me who is a High Tory.

Wales if different because it couldn't survive as an independent state, its economy would be terrible. If Wales had a viable economy it would also be seeking to leave.
    That a pretty spot on analysis of Scotland's religious History. I was christened by the Church of Scotland but I am beginning to see my self as an Agnostic. However voting SNP because of my religious stance wasn't my main reason for supporting them in this election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    I think it may also have to do with the protestant/presbyterian influence over catholicism. Wales has some of this too. It emphasises dislike of rank more and puts everyone lower before god. Hence their egalitarian dislike of English class obsession.
    Calvinism has historically been a force quite favourable to capitalism and this is part of the thrift ethic that is within it.

It's because they are less religious and get more of their ideas from left-leaning state schools that they are left-leaning and anti-individualistic.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would find some stats about the general election in Scotland. Only 15% of people how registered to vote in Scotland voted for right-wing parties. (With a turn out of 71%.)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  303.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Calvinism has historically been a force quite favourable to capitalism and this is part of the thrift ethic that is within it.

It's because they are less religious and get more of their ideas from left-leaning state schools that they are left-leaning and anti-individualistic.
    Really, you think they are less religious than the English? That hasn't been my impression but maybe..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    Really, you think they are less religious than the English? That hasn't been my impression but maybe..
    There's a post in this thread above yours which shows that the number of people in Scotland with no religion is more than 10% higher than in England.

ReputationRep:

Not necessarily John Knox arguably the Calvinist who has had the largest amount of influence over Scotland, was a big supporter of welfare (education for all etc.), he also felt that if one felt their King or Queen to be unchristian then one had the right to remove said King or Queen by force if needs be. So Scottish Calvinism is a complicated matter.

ReputationRep:
    There's a post in this thread above yours which shows that the number of people in Scotland with no religion is more than 10% higher than in England.
    OK but I was talking more about it's cultural roots, the religiosity going back that allowed certain cultures and education and thought methods to take roots. I wouldn't take that figure as anything like as significant as that.
    I don't think religion has a huge impact in western Europe in general right now. I still think there is a a strain of protestantism distrustful of rank and emphasising humility that fits with social democratic thinking. Look at how Scandinavia has always been-I think the Scots have some similarities with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SausageMan)
    That a pretty spot on analysis of Scotland's religious History. I was christened by the Church of Scotland but I am beginning to see my self as an Agnostic. However voting SNP because of my religious stance wasn't my main reason for supporting them in this election.
    Why would non conformists vote for the conservatives who have traditionally been in favor of The Anglican Church, the combination of church and state and the suppression of non conformists?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.