The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nice kit imo.Least Puma seem to get the yellow/blue away kit idea unlike Nike who gave us every thing from White to purple.
Original post by difeo
Because we're talking about how good he was around 2010. How good he was 6 years previously is irrelevant. I did 5 seasons together just because it's quicker than saying them all, but you can take it for individual seasons if you wanted, eg 9 in 16 in 09-10, 7 in 15 in 07-08, 11 in 22 in 06-07. All injury hit seasons where he was 1 in 2.

And I included part of his world class period because you did:

What is around 2010? The seasons that suits your 20 20 hindsight argument? Thus everything else is irrelevant. Quicker? How? It's simple addition and subtractions not rocket science.

Like I said, you're only willing to look at things to suits your prerogative. I'm looking at rvp whole arsenal career. If you're judging how a player perform, why only look at partial thing unless you're trying to get a biased view point. Isn't you're point basically that rvp has always been performing and we were reaping the rewards of his performance throughout his arsenal career and that's the crux of the reason arsene stuck with him (73 goals in 6 seasons GOAT level for real) and not to forget how he was banging them in against Georgia's of these world for holland.

Why have you only put up league numbers? (Are we arguing just league now to suit your point?)

6-07 was 13 in 31
7-08 was 9 in 23
9-10 was 10 in 19

Now not so impressive is it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2142
Original post by De Chirico
Cech would be a great signing on so many levels, most of all to see the Chelsea plastics crying about it.

1434494159458.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by atom y humber
What is around 2010? The seasons that suits your 20 20 hindsight argument? Thus everything else is irrelevant. Quicker? How? It's simple addition and subtractions not rocket science.

Like I said, you're only willing to look at things to suits your prerogative. I'm looking at rvp whole arsenal career. If you're judging how a player perform, why only look at partial thing unless you're trying to get a biased view point. Isn't you're point basically that rvp has always been performing and we were reaping the rewards of his performance throughout his arsenal career and that's the crux of the reason arsene stuck with him (73 goals in 6 seasons GOAT level for real) and not to forget how he was banging them in against Georgia's of these world for holland.

Why have you only put up league numbers? (Are we arguing just league now to suit your point?)

6-07 was 13 in 31
7-08 was 9 in 23
9-10 was 10 in 19

Now not so impressive is it?

Because we were talking about that time period. You were saying Arsenal fans wanted him out around that time and I said he was a good player even then. That's been like the entire point of the discussion lol.

Oh right so when I'm judging how good Costa is these days, I should place as much value on his poverty seasons of 6 years ago as on the 2 world class seasons he's just had? No, obviously when you're talking about the value of a player to a club, the most relevant season is the current one (in this case RVP's 09-10), then they get less important as you go back in time. To the extent that his first season in England, in 04-05 aged 21, is essentially irrelevant. Yet you're trying to use that as part of your reasoning for him not being wanted in 2010.

Well league numbers are a better representation, but okay. In the first two seasons you mention he was only 3 goals off being 1 in 2, and when you consider that a lot of his appearances would've been short substitute appearances as he was being eased back in after injuries, it could easily be 1 in 2 in terms of full 90 minutes. Don't know where you'd find those stats though. And 10 in 19 is 1 in 2 so supports my point.
Original post by difeo
Because we were talking about that time period. You were saying Arsenal fans wanted him out around that time and I said he was a good player even then. That's been like the entire point of the discussion lol.

Oh right so when I'm judging how good Costa is these days, I should place as much value on his poverty seasons of 6 years ago as on the 2 world class seasons he's just had? No, obviously when you're talking about the value of a player to a club, the most relevant season is the current one (in this case RVP's 09-10), then they get less important as you go back in time. To the extent that his first season in England, in 04-05 aged 21, is essentially irrelevant. Yet you're trying to use that as part of your reasoning for him not being wanted in 2010.

Well league numbers are a better representation, but okay. In the first two seasons you mention he was only 3 goals off being 1 in 2, and when you consider that a lot of his appearances would've been short substitute appearances as he was being eased back in after injuries, it could easily be 1 in 2 in terms of full 90 minutes. Don't know where you'd find those stats though. And 10 in 19 is 1 in 2 so supports my point.

Now you want to change it to minutes per goal. Let's face it, if that doesn't suit your argument you'll probably want to change it to opponents or what colour boots he wore.
Original post by atom y humber
Now you want to change it to minutes per goal. Let's face it, if that doesn't suit your argument you'll probably want to change it to opponents or what colour boots he wore.

Strong response. It's pretty obvious that goals per 90 is a better representation of scoring ability than goals per game which counts 2 minutes on the pitch as a game. In general they're pretty similar but when you're talking about a striker with injury problems a fair few of his games will be just a few minutes.

You don't do sarcasm do you
March 5th 2016 Spurs vs Arsenal

Put it in your diary, going to win the title at WHL for the third time that night
Welcome to England, Bilic.
Pretty much perfect run of fixtures tbh, fair few away games at the beginning but aside from that most of our hard fixture are spaced out nicely, end of Jan may be tough though (liv (a), stoke (a), che (h)).

Quite an easy feb and march too where we normally falter (only utd (a) and spurs (a) look tough)

Also facing all of the top 6 bar Chelsea at home in our first set of fixtures against them is very good news (soton and swansea away though so 6 points dropped there...)

Overall though I don't think we could have asked for a much better fixture spacing, and we'll have the snake supreme Nasri and the squad giving us a guard of honour at the Etihad to the sound of "hey Jude" on the penultimate weekend :biggrin:
Original post by Zürich
March 5th 2016 Spurs vs Arsenal

Put it in your diary, going to win the title at WHL for the third time that night

Bar City away you're run is absolute pish. Knowing how you're flat track bullies anyway you should finish the season strongly - not really many excuses for a slow start this year either.
Original post by The Shed End
Bar City away you're run is absolute pish. Knowing how you're flat track bullies anyway you should finish the season strongly - not really many excuses for a slow start this year either.

True, and generally are fixtures are great.

No excuses next season, not saying we'll win the title but if we dont then it's just because we're not strong enough.

Annoying to always play at SB first. Allows Mourinho to pick us off as Wenger will stubbornly try to win and then he can just take a point at the Emirates. Feel like playing at the Emirates first would allow Arsenal to do our usual thing and actually pose a tactical question to Chelsea and then if we won the game at SB would also be more contestable. Oh well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
True, and generally are fixtures are great.

No excuses next season, not saying we'll win the title but if we dont then it's just because we're not strong enough.

Annoying to always play at SB first. Allows Mourinho to pick us off as Wenger will stubbornly try to win and then he can just take a point at the Emirates. Feel like playing at the Emirates first would allow Arsenal to do our usual thing and actually pose a tactical question to Chelsea and then if we won the game at SB would also be more contestable. Oh well.

Can't really see you lot beating us unless Mourinho tries to go toe to toe and attack a bit more, which let's be honest he isn't going to do because he doesn't need to. First season he came back you were top when we played you at the Emirates, and last season you had won something ridiculous like 12 straight games, and you've only managed 2 shots on target combined over both matches.
Original post by The Shed End
Can't really see you lot beating us unless Mourinho tries to go toe to toe and attack a bit more, which let's be honest he isn't going to do because he doesn't need to. First season he came back you were top when we played you at the Emirates, and last season you had won something ridiculous like 12 straight games, and you've only managed 2 shots on target combined over both matches.

Cant deny it, if Chelsea play for the draw they generally get it and at home we're always open to counters.

Should just line up like this

Cech (c)
Debuchy Koscielny Mertesacker Gabriel Monreal
Walcott Coquelin Ramsey Sanchez
Welbeck

Couldnt be any worse than what we usually do. Take 2 0-0 draws, thanks very much.
I get the feeling Wenger wanting to go toe to toe against Chelsea is purely out of selfishness, wanting to finally break his duck against Mou, letting personal feuds get in the way of results. All we need to do is go to SB and play for a draw, take a point and run, but wengs is so #obsessed with beating mou that it'll never happen, forever in the Portuguese back pocket
Original post by Zürich
Cant deny it, if Chelsea play for the draw they generally get it and at home we're always open to counters.

Should just line up like this

Cech (c)
Debuchy Koscielny Mertesacker Gabriel Monreal
Walcott Coquelin Ramsey Sanchez
Welbeck

Couldnt be any worse than what we usually do. Take 2 0-0 draws, thanks very much.

Replace walcott with bellerin and Sanchez with Gibbs, chambers for rambo, then walcott or sanchez up top over welbeck
West ham, Palace and Liverpool all very definitive fixtures too. Will let us know if we need any last minute signings :lol:

I expect all 15 points from first 5 games. Hopefully if Chelsea drop a few to City and Everton it means we can go into Stamford Bridge, play for the draw and that's the hardest fixture of the season out of the way, with us on top of the table.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leinad2012
Replace walcott with bellerin and Sanchez with Gibbs, chambers for rambo, then walcott or sanchez up top over welbeck

lol at thinking gibbs is better at defending than sanchez
Gibbs is fundamentally ignorant of the tactical nuances of defence really

Would love to see him thrown in to some intense Serie A defensive chess game circa 2001 for the lols
At home at the start and end of the season. Get in :colone:

Latest