The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How can you write Campbell Welbeck and Gnabry out of the discussion because you think they're not good enough to warrant it, but then include Arteta and Flamini?

I'm not arguing that we don't need a better striker, but If one of our forward players gets injured, we have various options for cover, plus plenty of creativity throughout the midfield to try to ride out a bad spell. Whereas our only properly defensive-minded CMs are Flamini and Coq. Flamini is hopefully and probably on his way out, leaving just coquelin. Even if you argue that Arteta could play deep against lower teams, we still have a much more severe lack of quality at DM than we do in attacking positions.

Anyway I'd say both positions are important to any title aspirations really.
Original post by e aí rapaz
How can you write Campbell Welbeck and Gnabry out of the discussion because you think they're not good enough to warrant it, but then include Arteta and Flamini?

I'm not arguing that we don't need a better striker, but If one of our forward players gets injured, we have various options for cover, plus plenty of creativity throughout the midfield to try to ride out a bad spell. Whereas our only properly defensive-minded CMs are Flamini and Coq. Flamini is hopefully and probably on his way out, leaving just coquelin. Even if you argue that Arteta could play deep against lower teams, we still have a much more severe lack of quality at DM than we do in attacking positions.

I was actually saying both lots should be discounted. Wilshere can play dm too and if coq gets injured we can drop Santi and play Ramsey instead. There are definitely options there.

Tell me what do we do when Sanchez gets injured, or Walcott gets his annual 3 month lay off?
I've never denied we need another cdm, but st is a priority imo.

On a sidenote good to see jenko has signed a new 5 year deal and been loaned to west ham again, big future at this club if he's patient.
Original post by e aí rapaz

Watch when Wenger makes Santi our new CDM. @swirly Predicted this first in fairness
Original post by leinad2012
Lolwut? Chelsea have bought a no. 2 keeper and loaned a flop striker (who may turn good but may not). City have just spent £45mil in a player who's worth half that and have an aging squad, I agree with jam I'd be stunned if they compete

I guess I should have said: what I expect them to spend rather than what they have actually spent up to now.
Of course, I could be wrong and I hope I am.

Edit: also, about falcao. Mourinho isn't an idiot, I think he was confident that he could get falcao back to at least decent form before he decided to loan him.
(edited 8 years ago)
I still think we should get rid of Mertesacker... We need a centre back to partner Koscielny, Jose Fonte?? And a decent left back, plus a big name striker
Original post by sevchenko
Don't see the need for another attacking player unless someone exceptional become available. We're pretty well equipped up front and in the wings.

Another DM is absolutely essential in my eyes. I'd have no complaints if Cech and another DM was our only business

What happens if Giroud becomes injured? Apart from a few moments of genius near the end of last season, Theo doesn't have the capability of height and physical presence to warrant playing for ST. Wouldn't place Alexis there either aswell as the guy cannot be tracking back so many times during a match and then play that position. Welbeck isn't reliable enough.

Ngl, i'd be over the moon if we make CDM signing in this window, whether it be Vidal Carvalho etc, but I still think we need that clinical beast upfront who's gonna bang them in and out for us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stefano93
What happens if Giroud becomes injured? Apart from a few moments of genius near the end of last season, he doesn't have the capability of height and physical presence to warrant playing for ST. Wouldn't place Alexis there either aswell as the guy cannot be tracking back so many times during a match and then play that position. Welbeck isn't reliable enough.

Ngl, i'd be over the moon if we make CDM signing in this window, whether it be Vidal Carvalho etc, but I still think we need that clinical beast upfront who's gonna bang them in and out for us.

This is where wenger got it all wrong.
He bought wellbeck as cover for Giroud when in fact he should have bought someone to replace Giroud in the starting 11 entirely, leaving Giroud as the back up.
No offence to either Giroud or Wellback but neither belong in a starting 11 which is capable of winning the premier league.

Edit: Of course, Giroud can prove people wrong in the same way Van persie proved everyone wrong but we all know how that ended up and how long do we need to wait for that, assuming it does happen?
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't be suprised if the top signing would be bring infamous Lord Bendtner back
Gonna take me a bit to get used to

Original post by AR_95
Gonna take me a bit to get used to

I like it, reminds me of the Dreamcast outfit the legends donned a decade back
It's a kit ffs, why do your media team hype these irrelevant things up so much?
Original post by The Shed End
It's a kit ffs, why do your media team hype these irrelevant things up so much?

We never did this with Nike so Puma probably behind it

This is Puma's biggest deal in club football. Arsenal is the biggest club they're currently manufacturing kits for. You can forgive their marketing guys for wanting to hype their brand up a bit especially considering they don't have the presence at the top end of the tables across Europe compared to Adidas and Nike.
Liverpool fans starting a petition to get their owners to sign Reus. Just ****ing loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.
Liverpool fans starting a petition to get their owners to sign Reus. Just ****ing loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Haha, Reus will watch and boy them off by signing for a rival club :colonhash:.
Haha, Reus will watch and boy them off by signing for a rival club :colonhash:.

We aren't their rivals :u:, Sanchez MKII.

In all seriousness I would be astounded if he moved, there's' more chance of me getting a 1st when my results are released in an hour and the chances of that are pretty much zilch
We aren't their rivals :u:, Sanchez MKII.

In all seriousness I would be astounded if he moved, there's' more chance of me getting a 1st when my results are released in an hour and the chances of that are pretty much zilch

LOOL oh ****, I hope you get a decent set of results bro - possibly 2:1? What you planning after this, find a job?
LOOL oh ****, I hope you get a decent set of results bro - possibly 2:1? What you planning after this, find a job?

Haha thanks mate I'd take a 2:1 right now tbh. It's only first year results so they don't matter much, just need to pass all to get into next year so it's quite chilled tbh
Similar but different situation, I'm waiting for feedback on a proposal so I can start a PhD.