The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just putting this out again, Koscielny is the 2nd best defender in the PL

His 1 v 1 defending is almost flawless. The likes of Adams/Camobell were better but they relied on their reactions to the immediate ball. Never seen an Arsenal defender like Koscielny who prefers to do you after the initial contact

Koscielny is genuinely world class and I really hope him and Cech get co-ordination soon
(edited 8 years ago)
As well as that, Koscielny is clearly a hard bastard carrying all kinds of psychological baggage because he spent his early career in Ligue 2. You can tell he takes pride in ruining superstars, he leaves the studs in for them. I knew once he kicked Messi around the Emirates that he was half-decent

Should be our captain

Koscielny-Gabriel has the potential to be the most aggressive partnership in the league btw. Wenger nearly invariably has had an Adams, Campbell, Mertesacker partnered with the aggressive 2nd CB. But I'd love to see more of Kosc-Gabriel, so aggressive. If we want to play a high line then these 2 are gold.
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought you thought he was the best? £35 million worth? Have to admit quality defending for Zarate's goal at the weekend
(edited 8 years ago)
I also kind of respect the fact Koscielny has made absolutely no attempt to learn English, and speaks even in interviews purely in commands followed by intense eye-balling. Classic hard Frenchman.

100% he had an Arsenal video where he tried to co-opt some random translator walking past to speak for him. Literally tried to physically force him into the interview. Not a single **** was given.

What a man, he can have my daughters once Adams is done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Shed End
I thought you thought he was the best? £35 million worth? Have to admit quality defending for Zarate's goal at the weekend

He is worth that though

Go out into the market, and try and buy a top CB. How much is it? Stones is £30m apparently. So Kosclieny?
(edited 8 years ago)
He might be worth it now, though Barca were unwilling to go over £30 million in the summer, but he wasn't when you first said that well over a year ago.
An English club with a non-English-speaking captain is surely a recipe for disaster...
He might be worth it now, though Barca were unwilling to go over £30 million in the summer, but he wasn't when you first said that well over a year ago.

In my profession, it is my job to spot trends :wink:

Perhaps overestimated but there can be little doubt that Kosicleny is in the group of top 10 defenders in Europe. And I would have him closer to top 5, but obviously bias.
Original post by Zürich

Perhaps overestimated but there can be little doubt that Kosicleny is in the group of top 10 defenders in Europe. And I would have him closer to top 5, but obviously bias.

Still think we should have gone in for Vertonghen :lol:
Original post by Zürich

Yeah he is a very good defender on his day no doubt, certainly your best by a considerable distance and far more consistent that he used to be. Remember that game you lost away when Blackburn were absolute dog sh*te and he had a 'mare.

Let's be honest it's not that difficult to get into the top 5/10 of CB's these days, not that many top ones around these days. The fact Terry at 34 is the best in the PL speaks volumes
Yeah he is a very good defender on his day no doubt, certainly your best by a considerable distance and far more consistent that he used to be. Remember that game you lost away when Blackburn were absolute dog sh*te and he had a 'mare.

Let's be honest it's not that difficult to get into the top 5/10 of CB's these days, not that many top ones around these days. The fact Terry at 34 is the best in the PL speaks volumes

Absolutely agree with you in terms of CBs these days not being a scratch on previous eras. Not even joking, Southgate would be a £30m player in this marker easily.And he was a bit of a laughing stock back in the day.

In 2006 England had Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Carragher. Not even joking but has there ever been a stronger set of CBS?

John Terry is exceptional overall. His only weakness is pace and a competent manager worries about that(so not AVB!). Not only himself though, he is an inspirational character and for instance Cahill is so much better for Chelsea than for England(where he plays with jagielka)

really think a John Terry injury could be an outlier for Chelsea because he is just so consistent
(edited 8 years ago)
Dont know if I ever said on here but I met Bergkamp once outside Highbury and we spoke in Dutch for about 2 minutes as he was signing autographs.My uncle was there and he was having a go at DB when he played left wing for Ajax back in the day. Dennis called Overmars off the bus to agree he wasnt that bad at LW, which was unbelievable. Really different guy in Dutch, very funny, proper Amsterdam humour. I have a phot of me, Bergkamp and Overmars from that night which I really love.

Denis was just pure Ajax, pure Arsenal. That style, confidence, charisma....

I have never seen a player instantly control the ball like he did though.In the air, at his feet etc, it didnt matter. He just trapped the ball in a microsecond as casually as we blink
(edited 8 years ago)
Ozil just does not have a patch on the guy tbh. If Ozil cost £42.5 mill in today's market, Bergkamp would cost £70 mill.
Original post by Zürich
In 2006 England had Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Carragher. Not even joking but has there ever been a stronger set of CBS?

You could make a top 10 Italian CB's of the late 1990s list which would still be better than any of the sorry lot we have today.

Cannavaro, Costacurta, Nesta, Pessotto, Ferrara, Iuliano, Bergomi, Baresi

Or full backs: Maldini, Toricielli, Benarrivo, Panucci, Favalli, Zambrotta - half of whom could fill in at CB if needed.

Or even goalkeepers: Buffon, Toldo, Peruzzi, Pagliuca
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

Throw in Woodgate and King, too.
Im legit sure that Shawcross and Curtis Davies would be a GOAT England CB pairing
Original post by Mackay
Throw in Woodgate and King, too.

Ledley King is a cult they have at Spurs

Decemt CB, bizarre cult.

Sprus must have got disillusioned after Sol Campbell came to the Arsenal and won the double, while Spurs are winning a league cup every 25 years.

''double, double, double, sol cambell's won the double and the ****e from the lane won f.a. again...'''

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Let's be honest though, Sol Cambell is an absolute turncoat ****

That man was pure Spurs, they gave him his career and Sol came from a disadvantaged situation. All the way through the youth teams and was by far and away their best player. We had him at the Arsenal but he never belonged.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sol Campbell the original snake
Original post by Zürich
Ledley King is a cult they have at Spurs

Decemt CB, bizarre cult.

Agree - but he shone for England on the odd occasion he managed to stop being a vegetable, though.

Remember that opening game at Euro 2004? He basically ran it, until my beloved Stevie did his whole backpass to Henry routine.

Latest