The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have no doubt that the team that get's knocked out of Europe first be it the Champions or Europa League has a huge advantage on those who aren't in it. Clearly Liverpool and Tottenham aren't challenging for the league, but any of the English teams could possibly end up in the EL.

Look at Liverpool 13/14, although they had an incredible forward line, no chance would they have been playing as well, or consistently had they had matches every 3-4 days rather than 6-7. I clearly remember saying at the time that they would have had to rotate more and that's where Brenda's tactical inefficiency would show, nor would Suarez be as fit/rested as he was every week to drag his team out of the gutter after they'd conceded 3 goals.

Although they still had the FA Cup to focus on, that run only lasted till early March iirc, whilst City were knocked out in the CL by Barca in the first round, but also had the COC until the end of February as well as making up the matches they had missed until then. Chelsea went to the same round in the FA Cup as Liverpool, but then had four difficult games against PSG and Atletico. Not to mention the FA's ridiculous insistence on not moving Premier League games to give their teams better chances of going through in Europe like the Spanish FA do for their teams. At one point we had Sunderland on a Saturday evening, Atletico away on Wednesday night, Liverpool away Sunday lunch time before Atletico on Tuesday night.

Would be nice to see the FA do that in the future, after all the moved one for a bloody EDL march, but I can't see the FA having that much common sense so doubt it will happen.
Original post by ikhan94
Cazorla gets more media attention, ozil hardly gets any but both are really good

Cazorla is wayyyyy better

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are both a poor mans Hazard/Oscar/Fabregas
Original post by The Shed End
They are both a poor mans Coutinho

Agree
Would be nice to see the FA do that in the future, after all the moved one for a bloody EDL march, but I can't see the FA having that much common sense so doubt it will happen.

The only reason that game wasn't played on a Sunday was because United were playing in Europe on Tuesday. Which pretty much invalidates your entire point.
Original post by sr90
The only reason that game wasn't played on a Sunday was because United were playing in Europe on Tuesday. Which pretty much invalidates your entire point.

And UEFA rules say that league games can't be played on the same Monday-Friday week as Champions League games, which is why it couldn't be Monday. Sunday would have been too close. It was due to be a 5.30 game with the Super Sunday games already penciled in, which Sky wouldn't have changed so it moved to Friday night instead.

Pretty much invalidated your entire point.
Coutinho on Ballon D'Or list but Cazorla/Özil/Ramsey aren't.

Umad
And UEFA rules say that league games can't be played on the same Monday-Friday week as Champions League games, which is why it couldn't be Monday. Sunday would have been too close. It was due to be a 5.30 game with the Super Sunday games already penciled in, which Sky wouldn't have changed so it moved to Friday night instead.

Pretty much invalidated your entire point.

No it couldn't be Monday because nobody at any level of football can be expected to play a full game on consecutive days.
Original post by sr90
No it couldn't be Monday because nobody at any level of football can be expected to play a full game on consecutive days.

Yeah, which is what I'm saying. It could have been a possibility before the schedules were released but obviously wasn't. Friday was the only realistic date, but TV/fixture pile-up wasn't the only reason the game was on a Friday like your saying.

In fact it was the lesser reason of why it was moved.
I'm flying in for the game on Sunday, very naive but I believe in Arsene Wenger.

Prediction: Arsenal 2 Utd 0

Let's go Arsene, backs against the wall.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Coutinho on Ballon D'Or list but Cazorla/Özil/Ramsey aren't.

Umad

Ospina is too what's your point?
They put some names on the list just because of their performances with national teams at tournaments. So ospina is there for not dropping a clanger at copa America then :s
Arsennallllllll
If Ospina is on the list it means **** all tbh, instant decrease in its validity.

2 Arsenal players on the list though, one of which is Alexis Sanchez. Umad. Yeah...umad.
Reply 7974
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
If Ospina is on the list it means **** all tbh, instant decrease in its validity.

2 Arsenal players on the list though, one of which is Alexis Sanchez. Umad. Yeah...umad.

No-ones mad about that tbh
Increasingly getting worried about tomorrow.
Reply 7976
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Increasingly getting worried about tomorrow.

I don't actually ever recall you being confident for a game.. like ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Genuinely think that we could get dicked by Southampton again this season. And Spurs. These middling teams are hard games these days that we are nowhere near guaranteed to win.
I have no idea what United players are on the shortlist. Must be a thing that supporters of small clubs concern themselves over ''oh our player is nominated for an award they have no chance of winning''

Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Genuinely think that we could get dicked by Southampton again this season. And Spurs. These middling teams are hard games these days that we are nowhere near guaranteed to win.

No easy game in the Premier League nowadays. Unless you're playing Villa, Sunderland or Newcastle.

Whoever sacks their manager first and brings Big Sam in will stay up. The other two are gone.
Original post by leinad2012
Ospina is too what's your point?

Just that Coutinho is better than all your midfielders bar Sanchez :biggrin:

#salty

Latest