Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be going into year 12 next year and I want to take biology, chemistry, maths, business studies, and fine art. I have no idea what I want to do with my future I always like the thought of being a surgeon or doing something medical (hence the biology, chemistry and maths) but now I'm not so sure. I've always wanted to have my own business in redesign and renovation of houses (hence the business studies and fine art), but overall I have no idea. I feel like because I am a smart individual I'm expect to go down the academic science route, but I love art, so I don't know what to do. Do I take 5 A Levels or will it be too much pressure as everyone has told me it would be, as I would love to go to a good uni like UCL or Imperial College London. I'm so unsure!

ReputationRep:
    It depends whether you can take it. Chemistry is supposedly really tough as there is a lot of material to cover. I don't know about fine art. I think if you should drop one, it should be either business studies or fine art because the other options are still 'more reliable'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A1b2c3d4efg)
    I will be going into year 12 next year and I want to take biology, chemistry, maths, business studies, and fine art. I have no idea what I want to do with my future I always like the thought of being a surgeon or doing something medical (hence the biology, chemistry and maths) but now I'm not so sure. I've always wanted to have my own business in redesign and renovation of houses (hence the business studies and fine art), but overall I have no idea. I feel like because I am a smart individual I'm expect to go down the academic science route, but I love art, so I don't know what to do. Do I take 5 A Levels or will it be too much pressure as everyone has told me it would be, as I would love to go to a good uni like UCL or Imperial College London. I'm so unsure!
    I wouldn't recommend 5 a levels. There will be coursework and loads of notes to make. Also I would imagine u would have less study periods with 5... It's your choice but towards the end of the year when exams start the pressure may be too much to handle. I'm taking 4 a levels and trust me... That's more than enough pressure

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think with the new A levels reform you are only likely to be able to take 3/4 A levels, many colleges will only be funding for 3. It's worth contacting the college you will be attending to check whether you can take more than 3.

I personally think 5 A levels is too much and is not often encouraged (but not impossible). However, A levels are definitely manageable and if you feel you are still lacking, you could do an EPQ rather than a 5th A level. You need to consider the big step between GCSEs and A levels, it's not going to be a piece of cake, and revision for possible 10 exams is going to be tough. I don't think it's worth the stress caused when universities don't expect individuals to have more than the basic 3 A levels (unless in some cases). You can still go to good universities with 3/4 A levels seeing as many of them only ask for 3 as their minimum requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 As and 6B and I went onto alevels and I regret it so much, i am now doing exams, i choose history ict sociology and rs, it was so much that i ended up dropping history so i can concentrate on the others, so in my opinion it might be too much pressure, i would say it is an extremely large jump, i thought i was really covident, however you might be able to do it if you are at the top end of gsce just don't beat youself if you choose to do it but end up cant do it, the carrer you are looking into is on one hand very hard and hard to get into university with as they demand the top. so in overall try to look into what the uni wants from you and what u want to achieve and make sure u enjoy the subject

ReputationRep:
    Taking 5 AS levels isn't really that bad. I can't speak for business and fine art, but I did chem, bio, maths, history and crit. Crit hasn't got much content, so my 5 won't be as difficult as yours obviously, but theres a huge amount in history. If anything, I regret taking crit over a 5th, more demanding but more useful AS. For A2, 5 would probably be too much, but by then you might have more of an idea of what to do, so will be happier dropping one or two.

I would say go for it if you think you are able, and get good GCSE's- if your GCSE's arent that good, it's probably a sign you should maybe just take the standard 4 AS route, however either way if you work hard enough it can be done :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted A*-B in every subject for GCSE, the B being in languages which I'm not carrying on with. I'm definitely taking maths as it is my best subject and I understand it and I'm taking business as it Teaches skills for any career, but I'm unsure to whether I should take bio chem and fine art as I don't know what I want to do yet, I don't know if it will be a lot of work that in the end I'll decide not to use in my future career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _thequeen)
    Taking 5 AS levels isn't really that bad. I can't speak for business and fine art, but I did chem, bio, maths, history and crit. Crit hasn't got much content, so my 5 won't be as difficult as yours obviously, but theres a huge amount in history. If anything, I regret taking crit over a 5th, more demanding but more useful AS. For A2, 5 would probably be too much, but by then you might have more of an idea of what to do, so will be happier dropping one or two.

I would say go for it if you think you are able, and get good GCSE's- if your GCSE's arent that good, it's probably a sign you should maybe just take the standard 4 AS route, however either way if you work hard enough it can be done :-)
    I'm predicted A*-B in every subject for GCSE, the B being in languages which I'm not carrying on with. I'm definitely taking maths as it is my best subject and I understand it and I'm taking business as it teaches skills for any career, but I'm unsure to whether I should take bio chem and fine art as I don't know what I want to do yet, I don't know if it will be a lot of work that in the end I'll decide not to use in my future career

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you're not really taking any coursework heavy subjects, so it may be manageable. However, I wouldn't recommend it with the stress that you'd get towards the exam season. But I know people who do 5 AS levels and are coping fine and I know some who did 5 at the start of the year and dropped one due to 'too much work'. Depends on the workload that you can handle.

ReputationRep:
    Business is pretty pointless, just do the other 4

ReputationRep:
    It might be okay during the year but at exam time, you best hope your exams are not tightly packed together. Im only taking 4 AS and I have all 8 within this week and next week and I feel like im being stretched too thin.

Also coursework may impact your workload.

ReputationRep:
    I took five A-levels last year, it wasn't too bad..just make sure you actually drop a subject in Year 13. I totally regret carrying Bio with me this year.

ReputationRep:
    You do not need 5 but if you do 5, forget business or fine art and replace it with further maths (it is not as hard as it is hyped up to be).

ReputationRep:
    business is like gcse's and so you could do five and honestly you don't have to know what you have to do until year 13 really

ReputationRep:
    I took 5 A-levels, Maths, Further maths, biology, chemistry and physics. From personal experience I can say the work load is definitely large, but not unbearable. I picked 5 as I too didn't know what I wanted to do as I'm older, but now exams are bearing down I wish I had just taken the 4, every university I've talked to said that 5 a levels gives me no advantage over other candidates, also If one of your ideal jobs is to be a surgeon but want to keep other routes open you can drop biology because most medical universities that I visited on open days only require chemistry and one other science related subject or maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishopofbanter)
    you can drop biology because most medical universities that I visited on open days only require chemistry and one other science related subject or maths.
    As a bare minimum they require chemistry and another science. You don't need to tell me how incorrect and misleading some of the A-level biology content is (e.g. how DNA goes from being a stable molecule to a fragile one when studying cancer). However, if one wants to be in with a chance on being accepted in a medicine course, you certainly need an A-level biology qualification if nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    no stop trying to be clever you dont need that many and you know it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    no stop trying to be clever you dont need that many and you know it...
    Actually, if he's doing Medicine, which he has highlighted as being potentially his goal, then having 5 will be helpful. Barts, for example, give preference to candidates with extra A-Levels. Either way, you can use it in interview to show you are committed and can manage time well. I did this with the extra AS I took up this year, and they seemed impressed by it. Taking 4 A2's as opposed to 3 can also make it easier to meet your offer, which, for Medicine, will most likely be AAA. This means if OP struggles with the A2 content for one of his subjects and thus may be unable to get an A, he has another A-Level to fall back on in order to meet the conditions of his offer.

So basically, I don't think that he's just 'trying to be clever', he's just trying to cover all his bases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadyKiss;[url="tel:55751053")
    55751053[/url]]As a bare minimum they require chemistry and another science. You don't need to tell me how incorrect and misleading some of the A-level biology content is (e.g. how DNA goes from being a stable molecule to a fragile one when studying cancer). However, if one wants to be in with a chance on being accepted in a medicine course, you certainly need an A-level biology qualification if nothing more.
    I have visited Nottingham, Durham and Cambridge so far and all 3 said that biology is helpful but not necessary, the only must have is chemistry and then an accompanying science subject

I'm pretty sure fine art is coursework heavy, depending on the exam board obv, but art tends to require many hours of work and research. You'll have very little time doing 5 A levels. I'd leave the sciences and maths but you'd be better off picking only one extra subject that you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.